The Financial Sector and Economic Growth
AbstractThe Mankiw-Romer-Weil (1992) augmented Solow-Swan model is extended to incorporate the financial sector in this study. Distinguishing between financial capital, physical capital and human capital, this study attempts to identify in particular, the effects of financial capital on economic growth. The study is also examines the effects of financial sector efficiency on economic growth. The financial sector augmented model is tested on 35 low and middle income economies. Strong support is found for the financial sector augmented model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia in its series Economics Working Papers with number wp09-02.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: School of Economics, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia
Phone: +612 4221-3659
Fax: +612 4221-3725
Web page: http://business.uow.edu.au/econ/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Mankiw-Romer-Weil model; economic growth; financial capital; banking sector; convergence;
Other versions of this item:
- O42 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Monetary Growth Models
- O43 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Institutions and Growth
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2009-08-16 (Development)
- NEP-FDG-2009-08-16 (Financial Development & Growth)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Héctor Gustavo González Padilla, 2012. "Economic Growth and Financial System," Ensayos Económicos, Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department, vol. 1(65-66), pages 61-74, September.
- Anwar, Sajid & Sun, Sizhong, 2011. "Financial development, foreign investment and economic growth in Malaysia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 335-342, August.
- Cooray, Arusha, 2011. "The role of the government in financial sector development," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 928-938, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Siminski).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.