Environmental Hazard and Residential Value, Location and Dispersion
AbstractThis paper provides microeconomic foundations to the relationship between the values of residential properties and the environmental quality of their location. It constructs an environmental–quality-adjusted lifetime-utility function by combining satisfaction from consumption over the lifespan with risk to life from living in an environmentally hazardous location. It employs this utility function to analyse willingness to pay for environmental quality, choice of location and residential dispersion and its relationship with income distribution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia in its series Economics Working Papers with number wp03-16.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: School of Economics, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia
Phone: +612 4221-3659
Fax: +612 4221-3725
Web page: http://business.uow.edu.au/econ/index.html
More information through EDIRC
microeconomic foundations; residential properties; environmental quality; utility function; location; residential dispersion;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-08-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2004-08-16 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-URE-2004-08-16 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levy, Amnon, 2002.
"A lifetime portfolio of risky and risk-free sexual behaviour and the prevalence of AIDS,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 993-1007, November.
- Levy, A., 2000. "A Lifetime Portfolio of Risky and Risk-Free Sexual Behaviour and the Prevalence of AIDS," Economics Working Papers wp01-04, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Levy, Amnon, 2002. "Rational eating: can it lead to overweightness or underweightness?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 887-899, September.
- Kiel Katherine A. & McClain Katherine T., 1995. "House Prices during Siting Decision Stages: The Case of an Incinerator from Rumor through Operation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 241-255, March.
- Harrison, David Jr. & Rubinfeld, Daniel L., 1978. "Hedonic housing prices and the demand for clean air," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 81-102, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Siminski).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.