The Impact of Trade Liberalisation on Manufacturing Sector Performance in Developing Countries: A Survey of the Literature
AbstractEmpirical studies that have examined the relationship between trade reforms and manufacturing performance have tended to use productivity growth, export growth and changes in price-cost margins as yardsticks of performance measures. We have examined the available literature for the purpose of drawing some conclusions and have obtained mixed results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia in its series Economics Working Papers with number wp02-07.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: School of Economics, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia
Phone: +612 4221-3659
Fax: +612 4221-3725
Web page: http://business.uow.edu.au/econ/index.html
More information through EDIRC
trade reforms; trade liberalisation; manufacturing sector; developing countries; literature survey;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kishor Sharma & Sisira Kumara Jayasuriya & Edward Oczkowski, 1997.
"Liberalization and Productivity Growth: The Case of Manufacturing Industry in Nepal,"
1997.16, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Kishor Sharma & Sisira Jayasuriya & Edward Oczkowski, 2000. "Liberalization and Productivity Growth: The Case of Manufacturing Industry in Nepal," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(2), pages 205-222.
- Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1997.
"Exports, Imports and Productivity: Results from Indonesian Establishment Data,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
183, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Sjoholm, Fredrik, 1999. "Exports, Imports and Productivity: Results from Indonesian Establishment Data," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 705-715, April.
- Talan Iscan, 1998. "Trade liberalisation and productivity: A panel study of the Mexican manufacturing industry," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 123-148.
- Krishna, Pravin & Mitra, Devashish, 1998.
"Trade liberalization, market discipline and productivity growth: new evidence from India,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 447-462, August.
- Pravin Krishna & Devashish Mitra, . "Trade Liberalization, Market Discipline and Productivity Growth: New Evidence From India," Working Papers 96-8, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Pack, Howard, 1988. "Industrialization and trade," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 9, pages 333-380 Elsevier.
- Krueger, Anne O. & Tuncer, Baran, 1982. "Growth of factor productivity in Turkish manufacturing industries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 307-325, December.
- Rodrigo Fuentes, 1995. "Openness and economic efficiency: evidence from the Chilean manufacturing industry," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 22(2 Year 19), pages 357-387, December.
- Menon, Jayant, 1995. " Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 197-231, June.
- Tybout, James R, 1992. "Linking Trade and Productivity: New Research Directions," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(2), pages 189-211, May.
- Iscan, T., 1996.
"Trade Liberalization and Productivity: A Panel Study of the Mexican Manufacturing Industry,"
Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive
97-05, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Talan Iscan, 1998. "Trade Liberalization and Productivity-A Panel Study of the Mexican Manufacturing Industry," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive tradelib, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Nishimizu, Mieko & Robinson, Sherman, 1984. "Trade policies and productivity change in semi-industrialized countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 177-206.
- Pack, Howard, 1993. "Productivity and industrial development in sub-Saharan Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Harry Bloch, 1999. "Does Foreign Trade Substitute For Domestic Competition Policy?," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 18(3), pages 1-18, 09.
- Jacquemin, Alexis & de Ghellinck, Elisabeth & Huveneers, Christian, 1980. "Concentration and Profitability in a Small Open Economy," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 131-44, December.
- Harrison, Ann E., 1994. "Productivity, imperfect competition and trade reform : Theory and evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 53-73, February.
- Havrylyshyn, Oli, 1990. "Trade Policy and Productivity Gains in Developing Countries: A Survey of the Literature," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 5(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Amjad, Rashid, 1977. "Profitability and industrial concentration in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 35085, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kim, Euysung, 2000. "Trade liberalization and productivity growth in Korean manufacturing industries: price protection, market power, and scale efficiency," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 55-83, June.
- Jayanthakumaran, Kankesu & Sanidas, Elias, 2005. "The Impact of Unilateral and Regional Trade Liberalisation on the Intra-ASEAN 5 Founding Nations' Exports and Export-GDP Nexus," Economics Working Papers wp05-14, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Sanidas, Elias & Jayanthakumaran, Kankesu, 2006. "The Consequences of Trade Liberalisation on the Australian Passenger Motor Vehicle Industry," Economics Working Papers wp06-01, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- JAYANTHAKUMARAN, Kankesu & PAHLAVANI, Mosayeb, 2007.
"Structural Breaks In Trade And Income Per Capita In Asean-5 Countries: An Application Of Innovational Outlier Models,"
Applied Econometrics and International Development,
Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 7(2).
- Jayanthakumaran, Kankesu & Pahlavani, Mosayeb, 2006. "Structural Breaks in Trade and Income Per Capita in ASEAN-5 Countries: An Application of Innovational Outlier Models," Economics Working Papers wp06-12, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Siminski).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.