Enterprise Agglomeration, Output Prices, and Physical Productivity: Firm-Level Evidence from Ethiopia
AbstractWe use census panel data on Ethiopian manufacturing firms to analyze the connections between enterprise agglomeration, firm-level output prices and physical productivity. We find a negative and statistically significant relationship between the agglomerat
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) in its series Working Paper Series with number UNU-WIDER Research Paper WP2012/85.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
agglomeration; productivity; output prices; firm-level data; Ethiopia; Africa; manufacturing;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2012-12-06 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-12-06 (Business Economics)
- NEP-DEV-2012-12-06 (Development)
- NEP-EFF-2012-12-06 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-HME-2012-12-06 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-URE-2012-12-06 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henderson, Vernon, 1997.
"Externalities and Industrial Development,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 449-470, November.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe, 2000. "Economic Structure and Local Growth: France, 1984-1993," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 329-355, May.
- Justin Sandefur, 2010.
"On the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution in an African Economy,"
Economics Series Working Papers
CSAE WPS/2010-05, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Justin Sandefur, 2010. "On the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution in an African Economy," CSAE Working Paper Series 2010-05, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Arne Bigsten & Mulu Gebreeyesus, 2007. "The Small, the Young, and the Productive: Determinants of Manufacturing Firm Growth in Ethiopia," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55, pages 813-840.
- Philippe Aghion & Matias Braun & Johannes Fedderke, 2008.
"Competition and productivity growth in South Africa,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 16(4), pages 741-768, October.
- Aghion, Philippe & Braun, Matias & Fedderke, Johannes, 2008. "Competition and Productivity Growth in South Africa," Scholarly Articles 3350068, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Matias Braun & Johannes Fedderke, 2007. "Competition and Productivity Growth in South Africa," Working Papers 54, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Ackerberg, Daniel & Lanier Benkard, C. & Berry, Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 2007. "Econometric Tools for Analyzing Market Outcomes," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 63 Elsevier.
- Schmitz, Hubert & Nadvi, Khalid, 1999. "Clustering and Industrialization: Introduction," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1503-1514, September.
- Amit Khandelwal, 2010.
"The Long and Short (of) Quality Ladders,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 77(4), pages 1450-1476.
- Blien, Uwe & Suedekum, Jens & Wolf, Katja, 2005.
"Local Employment Growth in West Germany: A Dynamic Panel Approach,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1723, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Blien, Uwe & Suedekum, Jens & Wolf, Katja, 2006. "Local employment growth in West Germany: A dynamic panel approach," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 445-458, August.
- Uwe Blien & Jens Suedekum & Katja Wolf, 2005. "Local Employment Growth in West Germany - A Dynamic Panel Approach," ERSA conference papers ersa05p620, European Regional Science Association.
- Frazer, Garth, 2005. "Which Firms Die? A Look at Manufacturing Firm Exit in Ghana," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(3), pages 585-617, April.
- Katayama, Hajime & Lu, Shihua & Tybout, James R., 2009. "Firm-level productivity studies: Illusions and a solution," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 403-413, May.
- Van Biesebroeck, Johannes, 2008. "The Sensitivity of Productivity Estimates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 26, pages 311-328.
- de Lucio, Juan J. & Herce, Jose A. & Goicolea, Ana, 2002. "The effects of externalities on productivity growth in Spanish industry," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 241-258, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.