Ordinal Welfare Comparisons with Multiple Discrete Indicators:A First Order Dominance Approach and Application to Child Poverty
AbstractWe develop an approach for making welfare comparisons between populations with multidimensional discrete well-being indicators observed at the micro level. The approach is rooted in the concept of multidimensional first order dominance. It assumes that, f
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) in its series Working Paper Series with number UNU-WIDER Research Paper WP2012/36.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
ordinal; welfare; multi-dimensional poverty measurement; first order dominance; Mozambique; Vietnam;
Other versions of this item:
- Arndt, Channing & Distante, Roberta & Hussain, M. Azhar & Østerdal, Lars Peter & Huong, Pham Lan & Ibraimo, Maimuna, 2012. "Ordinal Welfare Comparisons with Multiple Discrete Indicators: A First Order Dominance Approach and Application to Child Poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(11), pages 2290-2301.
- Channing Arndt & Roberta Distante & M. Azhar Hussain & Lars Peter Østerdal & Pham Lan Huong & Maimuna Ibraimo, 2011. "Ordinal Welfare Comparisons with Multiple Discrete Indicators: A First Order Dominance Approach and Application to Child Poverty," Discussion Papers 11-13, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2012-07-01 (Development)
- NEP-LTV-2012-07-01 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
- NEP-SEA-2012-07-01 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yélé Maweki Batana & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2010. "Comparing Multidimensional Poverty with Qualitative Indicators of Well-Being," Cahiers de recherche 1004, CIRPEE.
- Christoffer Sonne-Schmidt & Finn Tarp & Lars Peter Østerdal, 2008. "Ordinal Comparison of Multidimensional Deprivation: theory and application," Discussion Papers 08-33, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Muller, Christophe & Trannoy, Alain, 2011.
"A dominance approach to the appraisal of the distribution of well-being across countries,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(3-4), pages 239-246, April.
- Muller, Christophe & Trannoy, Alain, 2011. "A dominance approach to the appraisal of the distribution of well-being across countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 239-246.
- Nicolas Gravel & Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay, 2010.
"Is India better off today than 15 years ago? A robust multidimensional answer,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 173-195, June.
- Nicolas Gravel, 2007. "Is India Better off Today Than 15 Years Ago? A Robust Multidimensional Answer," Working Papers id:1056, eSocialSciences.
- Nicolas Gravel & Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay, 2007. "Is India Better off Today than 15 Years ago? A Robust Multidimensional Answer," IDEP Working Papers 0704, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised 18 May 2007.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & David E. Sahn & Stephen D. Younger, 2006.
"Robust Multidimensional Poverty Comparisons,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(514), pages 943-968, October.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011.
"Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 476-487.
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1989. "Family size and social utility : Income distribution dominance criteria," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 67-80, September.
- Johannes Gräb & Michael Grimm, 2007.
"Robust Multiperiod Poverty Comparisons,"
DT/2007/12, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Johannes Gräb & Michael Grimm, 2007. "Robust Multiperiod Poverty Comparisons," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 725, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Grimm, Michael & Gräb, Johannes, 2007. "Robust Multiperiod Poverty Comparisons," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, GÃ¶ttingen 2007 8, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Gräb, Johannes & Grimm, Michael, 2006. "Robust Multiperiod Poverty Comparisons," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4330, Paris Dauphine University.
- Johannes Gräb & Michael Grimm, 2007. "Robust Multiperiod Poverty Comparisons," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 160, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Levhari, David & Paroush, Jacob & Peleg, Bezalel, 1975. "Efficiency Analysis for Multivariate Distributions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 87-91, January.
- Østerdal, Lars Peter, 2010. "The mass transfer approach to multivariate discrete first order stochastic dominance: Direct proof and implications," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 1222-1228, November.
- Nicole Rippin, 2010. "Poverty Severity in a Multidimensional Framework: The Issue of Inequality between Dimensions," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 47, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Bourguignon, Francois, 1982. "The Comparison of Multi-Dimensioned Distributions of Economic Status," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 183-201, April.
- Vijay S. Bawa & Eric B. Lindenberg & Lawrence C. Rafsky, 1979. "An Efficient Algorithm to Determine Stochastic Dominance Admissible Sets," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(7), pages 609-622, July.
- Channing Arndt & Andres Garcia & Finn Tarp & James Thurlow, 2012.
"Poverty Reduction and Economic Structure: Comparative Path Analysis for Mozambique and Vietnam,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 58(4), pages 742-763, December.
- Channing Arndt & Andres Garcia & Finn Tarp & James Thurlow, 2010. "Poverty Reduction and Economic Structure Comparative Path Analysis for Mozambique and Vietnam," Working Paper Series wp2010-122, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Sen, Amartya, 1973. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198281931.
- Roelen, Keetie & Gassmann, Franziska, 2008. "Measuring Child Poverty and Well-Being: a literature review," MPRA Paper 8981, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nicolas Gravel & Patrick Moyes & Beno�T Tarroux, 2009. "Robust International Comparisons of Distributions of Disposable Income and Regional Public Goods," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 76(303), pages 432-461, 07.
- Ian Crawford, 2005. "A nonparametric test of stochastic dominance in multivariate distributions," School of Economics Discussion Papers 1205, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Bourguignon, F. & Chakravarty, S.R., 1998.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
DELTA Working Papers
98-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Keetie Roelen & Franziska Gassmann & Chris Neubourg, 2010. "Child Poverty in Vietnam: Providing Insights Using a Country-Specific and Multidimensional Model," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 98(1), pages 129-145, August.
- Alkire, Sabina, 2008. "Choosing Dimensions: The Capability Approach and Multidimensional Poverty," MPRA Paper 8862, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sonne-Schmidt, Christoffer & Tarp, Finn & Osterdal, Lars Peter, 2013. "Ordinal multidimensional inequality," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Range, Troels Martin & Østerdal, Lars Peter, 2013. "Checking bivariate first order dominance," Discussion Papers of Business and Economics 9/2013, Department of Business and Economics, University of Southern Denmark.
- Hussain, M. Azhar & Jørgensen, Mette Møller & Østerdal, Lars Peter, 2014. "Refining Population Health Comparisons: A Multidimensional First Order Dominance Approach," COHERE Working Paper 2014:5, COHERE - Centre of Health Economics Research, University of Southern Denmark.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.