Policy Regimes, Inequality, Poverty and Growth: The Chilean Experience, 1973-2010
AbstractSince the 1970s, Chile has exhibited a highly skewed income distribution accompanied with strong fluctuations over time. Although income distribution worsened notably in the 1970s-80s, a significant improvement was recorded in the first half of the 1990s, resulting from better economic and social policies in the return to democracy. Nonetheless, Chile still faces significant challenges to improve development. There must be an active macroeconomic policy focused on the real economy. Chile also needs profound microeconomic reforms, including (i) capital markets, developing long-term financing channels for small businesses; (ii) radical progress in quality of education and labour training; and (iii) vigorous public support for innovation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) in its series Working Paper Series with number UNU-WIDER Research Paper WP2012/04.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
income distribution; macroeconomic policy; microeconomic policies;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAM-2012-03-21 (Central & South America)
- NEP-LTV-2012-03-21 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 2002.
"La legislaci�n laboral y el mercado del trabajo en Chile: 1975-2000,"
Documentos de Trabajo
116, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 2001. "La legislaci�n laboral y el mercado del trabajo en Chile: 1975-2000," Documentos de Trabajo 114, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Joseph Ramos Quiñones, 2008. "El desarrollo exportador chileno: Evolución y persepctivas," Working Papers wp289, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Giovanni Andrea cornia, 2009.
"Income Distribution under Latin America’s New Left Regimes,"
Working Papers - Economics
wp2009_16.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Giovanni Andrea Cornia, 2010. "Income Distribution under Latin America's New Left Regimes," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 85-114.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Policy Regimes, Inequality, Poverty and Growth: The Chilean Experience, 1973-2010
by Maximo Rossi in Wikiprogress América Latina on 2012-03-23 23:09:00
- Giovanni Andrea Cornia & Milica Uvalic, 2012. "Learning from the past: Which of the past/current development strategies are best suited to deal with the ‘quadruple crisis’?," Working Papers 116, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.