Exchange Rate Regimes and Trade: Is Africa Different?
AbstractThis paper revisits the link between exchange rate regimes and trade in the context of Africa’s exchange rate arrangements. Applying an augmented gravity model that includes measures of currency unions and pegged regimes, the paper compares Africa’s experience with that of the world. Our results suggest that both currency unions and direct pegs promote bilateral trade in Africa vis-à-vis more flexible exchange rate regimes,and that their effect is almost double for the region than that for an average country in the world sample. Further, we find evidence that the effect of conventional pegs is at least as large as that of currency unions in Africa, and that the benefits of fixed exchange rate regimes stem through channels in addition to reduced exchange rate volatility.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) in its series Working Paper Series with number UNU-WIDER Working Paper WP2011/14.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
currency unions; fixed exchange rate regimes; Africa;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2002.
"The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation,"
NBER Working Papers
8963, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2004. "The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 119(1), pages 1-48, February.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2004. "The modern history of exchange rate arrangements: A reinterpretation," MPRA Paper 14070, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paul R. Masson & Xavier Debrun & Catherine A. Pattillo, 2002.
"Monetary Union in West Africa,"
IMF Working Papers
02/226, International Monetary Fund.
- Yongcheol Shin & Laura Serlenga, 2007. "Gravity models of intra-EU trade: application of the CCEP-HT estimation in heterogeneous panels with unobserved common time-specific factors," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 361-381.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2002.
"Fear of floating,"
14000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mahvash Saeed Qureshi & Charalambos G. Tsangarides, 2010. "The Empirics of Exchange Rate Regimes and Trade," IMF Working Papers 10/48, International Monetary Fund.
- Christopher Adam & David Cobham, 2007.
"Exchange rate regimes and trade,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006
9, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Mahvash Saeed Qureshi & Charalambos G. Tsangarides, 2006.
"What is Fuzzy About Clustering in West Africa?,"
IMF Working Papers
06/90, International Monetary Fund.
- Tsangarides, Charalambos G. & Qureshi, Mahvash Saeed, 2008. "Monetary Union Membership in West Africa: A Cluster Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1261-1279, July.
- Campbell, Douglas L., 2011.
"Estimating the impact of currency unions on trade using a dynamic gravity framework,"
35531, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Campbell, Douglas L., 2012. "Estimating the Impact of Currency Unions on Trade Using a Dynamic Gravity Framework," MPRA Paper 37091, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Douglas Campbell, 2012. "Estimating the Impact of Currency Unions on Trade Using a Dynamic Gravity Framework," Working Papers 121, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.