Twenty Years Later and the Socialist Heritage is still Kicking: the Case of Russia
AbstractOnly recently, 20 years after transition to a market system, has Russia regained a similar production level it had achieved on the eve of transition in 1991. This may sound surprising, given its low productivity under central planning which dropped even l
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) in its series Working Paper Series with number wp2010-59.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
transition; institutions; Russia; economic growth; human capital; higher;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2010-06-11 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-FDG-2010-06-11 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-HRM-2010-06-11 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-TRA-2010-06-11 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre Cahuc & Andrei Shleifer & Philippe Aghion & Yann Algan, 2009.
"Regulation and Distrust,"
Sciences Po publications
14648, Sciences Po.
- John M. Litwack, 1991. "Legality and Market Reform in Soviet-Type Economies," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(4), pages 77-89, Fall.
- Sergei Guriev & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2009.
"(Un)happiness in Transition,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 23(2), pages 143-68, Spring.
- Zilibotti, Fabrizio & Aghion, Philippe & Acemoglu, Daron, 2006.
"Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth,"
4554122, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2006. "Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(1), pages 37-74, 03.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Aghion, Philippe & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 2002. "Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 3467, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2002. "Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 9066, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Polishchuk, Leonid, 2010. "Misuse of Institutions: Lessons from Transition," Working Paper Series wp2010-75, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Irina Denisova & Markus Eller & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2010.
"What do Russians think about transition?,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 18(2), pages 249-280, 04.
- North, Douglass C. & Wallis, John Joseph & Webb, Steven B. & Weingast, Barry R., 2007. "Limited access orders in the developing world :a new approach to the problems of development," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4359, The World Bank.
- Aziz Atamanov & Alexander Chubrik & Irina Denisova & Vladimir Dubrovskiy & Marina Kartseva & Irina Lukashova & Irina Makenbaeva & Magdalena Rokicka & Irina Sinitsina & Michael Tokmazishvili, 2008. "The Development Gap Between the CIS and EU," CASE Network Reports 0081, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Vladimir Popov, 2000. "Shock Therapy Versus Gradualism: The End Of The Debate (Explaining The Magnitude Of Transformational Recession)," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(1), pages 1-57, April.
- J. Kornai., 2012.
"Innovation and Dynamism. Interaction between Systems and Technical Progress,"
N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 4.
- Kornai, János, 2010. "Innovation and Dynamism: Interaction between Systems and Technical Progress," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Working Paper W, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Popov, Vladimir, 2010. "The Long Road to Normalcy," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Working Paper W, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Popov, Vladimir, 2009. "Lessons from the Transition Economies: Putting the Success Stories of the Postcommunist World into a Broader Perspective," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Gérard Roland, 2004.
"Transition and Economics: Politics, Markets, and Firms,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 026268148x, January.
- Gérard Roland, 2000. "Transition and Economics: Politics, Markets, and Firms," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262182033, January.
- World Bank, 2002. "Constructing Knowledge Societies : New Challenges for Tertiary Education," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15224, January.
- Polterovich, Victor & Popov, Vladimir & Tonis, Alexander, 2008. "Mechanisms of Resource Curse, Economic Policy and Growth," MPRA Paper 20570, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gur Ofer, 2005. "Abram Bergson: The Life of a Comparativist1,2," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(2), pages 240-258, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.