Entrepreneurship and the National System of Innovation: What is Missing in Turkey?
AbstractAlthough very dynamic and flexible, Turkish SMEs are less innovative than their European counterparts. The analysis undertaken in this paper allows to assess whether this low level of innovative activities is related to a lack of entrepreneurial behaviour
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) in its series Working Paper Series with number wp2010-54.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
entrepreneurship; national systems of innovation; SMEs; innovative capabilities;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2010-06-11 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-CSE-2010-06-11 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-CWA-2010-06-11 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-ENT-2010-06-11 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2010-06-11 (Innovation)
- NEP-SBM-2010-06-11 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zvi Griliches, 1991.
"Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey,"
NBER Working Papers
3301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 287-343 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fonseca, Raquel & Lopez-Garcia, Paloma & Pissarides, Christopher A., 2001. "Entrepreneurship, start-up costs and employment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 692-705, May.
- Sandro Mendonça & Tiago Santos Pereira & Manuel Mira Godinho, 2004.
"Trademarks as an Indicator of Innovation and Industrial Change,"
LEM Papers Series
2004/15, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Mendonca, Sandro & Pereira, Tiago Santos & Godinho, Manuel Mira, 2004. "Trademarks as an indicator of innovation and industrial change," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1385-1404, November.
- I.Semih Akçomak & Erol Taymaz, 2004. "Assessing the Effectiveness of Incubators: The Case of Turkey," ERC Working Papers 0412, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Oct 2004.
- Audretsch, David B. & Keilbach, Max, 2002.
"Entrepreneurship Capital and Economic Performance,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
02-76, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- David B. Audretsch & Max Keilbach, 2004. "Entrepreneurship Capital and Economic Performance," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-01, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Audretsch, David B & Keilbach, Max, 2003. "Entrepreneurship Capital and Economic Performance," CEPR Discussion Papers 3678, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Erol Taymaz, 2005. "Are Small Firms Really Less Productive?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 25(5), pages 429-445, December.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Carree, Martin A. & Thurik, A. Roy, 2003. "The impact of entrepreneurship on economic growth," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-3884, Maastricht University.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1993.
"Technological paradigms and technological trajectories : A suggested interpretation of the determinants and directions of technical change,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 102-103, April.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1982. "Technological paradigms and technological trajectories : A suggested interpretation of the determinants and directions of technical change," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 147-162, June.
- David B. Audretsch & Roy Thurik, 2001. "Linking Entrepreneurship to Growth," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2001/2, OECD Publishing.
- Elif Bascavusoglu-Moreau, 2008. "Impact of SME Policies on Innovation: The Turkish Case," Open Discussion Papers in Economics 70, The Open University, Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Economics.
- Glaeser, Edward L & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1992.
"Growth in Cities,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1126-52, December.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1991. "Growth in Cities," NBER Working Papers 3787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Kallal, Hedi D. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Shleifer, Andrei, 1992. "Growth in Cities," Scholarly Articles 3451309, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Thomas Hatzichronoglou, 1997. "Revision of the High-Technology Sector and Product Classification," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 1997/2, OECD Publishing.
- Edward C. Norton & Hua Wang & Chunrong Ai, 2004. "Computing interaction effects and standard errors in logit and probit models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(2), pages 154-167, June.
- Erol Taymaz & Sule Ozler, 2004. "Labor Market Policies and EU Accession: Problems and Prospects for Turkey," ERC Working Papers 0405, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Mar 2004.
- Malmberg, Claes, 2005. "Trademarks Statistics as Innovation Indicator? - A Micro Study," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2005/17, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Acs, Zoltán J & Audretsch, David B & Braunerhjelm, Pontus & Carlsson, Bo, 2004. "The Missing Link: The Knowledge Filter and Entrepreneurship in Endogenous Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 4783, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christine Greenhalgh & Mark Rogers, 2007. "Trade Marks and Performance in UK Firms: Evidence of Schumpeterian Competition through Innovation," Economics Series Working Papers 300, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Blanchflower, David G., 2000.
"Self-employment in OECD countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 471-505, September.
- Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 1997. "Technological Regimes and Sectoral Patterns of Innovative Activities," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 83-117.
- Slavo Radosevic, 2007. "National Systems of Innovation and Entrepreneurship: In Search of a Missing Link," Working Papers 73, CENTRE FOR THE STUDY OF ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CHANGE IN EUROPE,School of Slavonic and East European Studies,University College London (SSEES,UCL).
- Jan Fagerberg, 2003. "Schumpeter and the revival of evolutionary economics: an appraisal of the literature," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 125-159, 04.
- Romijn, Henny & Albaladejo, Manuel, 2002. "Determinants of innovation capability in small electronics and software firms in southeast England," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1053-1067, September.
- Coulibaly, Souleymane & Deichmann, Uwe & Lall, Somik, 2007. "Urbanization and productivity : evidence from Turkish provinces over the period 1980-2000," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4327, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.