Non-state Sovereign Entrepreneurs and Non-territorial Sovereign Organizations
AbstractWe propose two new concepts, of non-state sovereign entrepreneurs and the non-territorial sovereign organizations they form, and relate them to issues pertaining to state sovereignty, governance failures, and violent social conflict over the appropriation of the powers that accrue to states in modern international law. The concepts deal with the rise of transboundary non-state actors, as they impinge on and aim to supplement or supersede certain powers of state actors. We provide examples to show that non-state sovereign entrepreneurs and their organizations already exist. We are interested in their potential role in conflict transformation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) in its series Working Paper Series with number UNU-WIDER Working Paper WP2010/09.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
entrepreneurship; non-state sovereign entrepreneur; non-state sovereign organization; non-governmental organization; conflict; war; civil war; violence; peace;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-02-27 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S71-102, October.
- Baumol, William J, 1990. "Entrepreneurship: Productive, Unproductive, and Destructive," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 893-921, October.
- Osiander, Andreas, 2001. "Sovereignty, International Relations, and the Westphalian Myth," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 55(02), pages 251-287, March.
- Say, Jean-Baptiste, 1880. "A Treatise on Political Economy; or the Production, Distribution, and Consumption of Wealth," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, edition 4, number say1880.
- Tilman Brück & Marie Karaisl & Friedrich Schneider, 2008. "A Survey of the Economics of Security," Economics of Security Working Paper Series 1, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Tilman Bruck, 2005.
"An Economic Analysis Of Security Policies,"
Defence and Peace Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(5), pages 375-389.
- Tilman Brück & Marie Karaisl & Friedrich Schneider, 2008. "A Survey on the Economics of Security: Final Report for the European Commission, Directorate-General for Justice, Freedom and Security," DIW Berlin: Politikberatung kompakt, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, volume 41, number pbk41, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.