AbstractMany of the world.s poorest countries can be described as .fragile states. wherein governments cannot or will not provide an environment for households to reduce, mitigate, or cope with poverty and other risks to wellbeing. Many of these states are in conflict or just emerging from conflict. The UNU-WIDER project .Fragility and Development. explored state fragility and its relationship to household vulnerability, noting that there is a lack of research on the economic dimensions of conflict, aid, and development in fragile states. This Research Brief provides a summary of the various contributions made by this project, including case studies on Iraq, Kosovo, Palestine, and Somalia. It also addresses a number of pertinent questions such as; when are states fragile? What are the costs that fragile states impose on their people and the international community? Should the sovereignty of fragile states be reconsidered? And how can aid flows to fragile states be made more effective?
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) in its series Working Paper Series with number UNU-WIDER Research Paper UNURB3/2008.
Length: 8 pages
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
vulnerability; poverty; households; hazards; shocks;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wim Naudé, 2011. "Foreign Aid for Innovation: The Missing Ingredient in Private Sector Development?," Working Papers 2011/35, Maastricht School of Management.
- Ács, Zoltan J. & Naudé, Wim, 2012.
"Entrepreneurship, stages of development, and industrialization,"
UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series
021, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Acs, Zoltan J. & Wim Naudï¿½, 2011. "Entrepreneurship, Stages of Development, and Industrialization," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Bruck, Tilman & Naude, Wim & Verwimp, Philip, 2013. "Entrepreneurship and violent conflict in developing countries," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Stel, Nora, 2012. "Entrepreneurship and innovation in a hybrid political order: The case of Lebanon," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 078, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Chiara Guglielmetti, 2009. "Measuring the Business Environment for Entrepreneurship: SMEs, Quality of Institutions and Development," Openloc Working Papers 0912, Public policies and local development.
- Nora Stel, 2013. "Governance and Government in the Arab Spring Hybridity: Reflections from Lebanon," Working Papers 2013/12, Maastricht School of Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.