Diffusion of Digital Mobile Telephony: Are Developing Countries Different?
AbstractFactors determining the diffusion of digital mobile telephony across developed and developing countries are studied with the aid of a Gompertz model. After controlling for other factors, the speed of diffusion per se is not significantly different between the two groups of countries. Standards competition hinders and market competition promotes diffusion in both groups. Various factors are, however, more important in a developing country context: having a large potential user base, accumulating network effects, being open, commanding a high (non-telecom) technological level, and introducing innovation(s) complementing mobile telephony. Late entrants experience faster diffusion promoting cross-country convergence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) in its series Working Paper Series with number UNU-WIDER Research Paper RP2004/13.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
mobile telephony; technology diffusion; Gompertz model; developing countries;
Other versions of this item:
- Rouvinen, Petri, 2006. "Diffusion of digital mobile telephony: Are developing countries different?," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 46-63, February.
- Rouvinen, Petri, 2004. "Diffusion of Digital Mobile Telephony - Are Devoloping Countries Different?," Discussion Papers 901, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Heli Koski & Tobias Kretschmer, 2005.
"Entry, standards and competition : firm strategies and the diffusion of mobile telephony,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
801, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Heli Koski & Tobias Kretschmer, 2004. "Entry, Standards and Competition: Firm Strategies and the Diffusion of Mobile Telephony," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 89-113, November.
- Koski, Heli & Kretschmer, Tobias, 2002. "Entry, Standards and Competition : Firm Strategies and the Diffusion of Mobile Telephony," Discussion Papers 824, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Kiiski, Sampsa & Pohjola, Matti, 2001.
"Cross-country Diffusion of the Internet,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Madden, Gary G & Coble-Neal, Grant & Dalzell, Brian, 2004.
"A dynamic model of mobile telephony subscription incorporating a network effect,"
10829, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Madden, Gary & Coble-Neal, Grant & Dalzell, Brian, 2004. "A dynamic model of mobile telephony subscription incorporating a network effect," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 133-144, March.
- Gruber, Harald & Verboven, Frank, 1999.
"The Diffusion of Mobile Telecommunications Services in the European Union,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2054, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gruber, Harald & Verboven, Frank, 2001. "The diffusion of mobile telecommunications services in the European Union," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 577-588, March.
- Gruber, H. & Verboven, F.L., 1998. "The Diffusion of Mobile Telecommunications Services in the European Union," Discussion Paper 1998-138, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ahn, Hyungtaik & Lee, Myeong-Ho, 1999. "An econometric analysis of the demand for access to mobile telephone networks," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 297-305, September.
- Abid A. Burki & Shirin Aslam, 2000. "The Role of Digital Technology and Regulations in the Diffusion of Mobile Phones in Asia," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 39(4), pages 741-750.
- Liikanen, Jukka & Stoneman, Paul & Toivanen, Otto, 2004. "Intergenerational effects in the diffusion of new technology: the case of mobile phones," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1137-1154, November.
- Gruber, Harald, 2001. "Competition and innovation: The diffusion of mobile telecommunications in Central and Eastern Europe," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 19-34, March.
- Wu, Feng-Shang & Chu, Wen-Lin, 2010. "Diffusion models of mobile telephony," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(5), pages 497-501, May.
- Varadharajan Sridhar, 2010. "An econometric analysis of mobile services growth across regions of India," Netnomics, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 205-220, October.
- Thierry Pénard & Nicolas Poussing & Gabriel Zomo Yebe & Philémon Nsi Ella, 2012.
"Comparing the Determinants of Internet and Cell Phone Use in Africa : Evidence from Gabon,"
Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen)
201217, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Thierry PENARD & Nicolas POUSSING & Gabriel ZOMO YEBE & Philémon NSI ELLA, 2012. "Comparing the Determinants of Internet and Cell Phone Use in Africa: Evidence from Gabon," Communications & Strategies, IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 1(86), pages 65-83, 2nd quart.
- Biancini, Sara, 2011.
"Behind the scenes of the telecommunications miracle: An empirical analysis of the Indian market,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 238-249, April.
- Sara Biancini, 2010. "Behind the Scenes of the Telecommunications Miracle: An Empirical Analysis of the Indian Market," CESifo Working Paper Series 3286, CESifo Group Munich.
- PENARD Thierry & POUSSING Nicolas & ZOMO YEBE Gabriel & NSI ELLA Philémon, 2012. "Usage d'Internet et du téléphone mobile en Afrique : une comparaison des déterminants d'adoption sur données gabonaises," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2012-15, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Towhidul Islam & Nigel Meade, 2011. "Detecting the impact of market factors on sales takeoff times of analog cellular telephones," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 197-212, June.
- Sheikh Taher ABU, 2014. "Competition and Innovation in Telecom Sector: Empirical Evidence from OECD Countries," Informatica Economica, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 18(1), pages 27-39.
- Mehmet KARACUKA & A.Nazif CATIK, 2012. "Diffusion of Telecommunication Services in Turkey," Ege Academic Review, Ege University Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, vol. 12(4), pages 497-510.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.