Quadratic term structure models with jumps in incomplete currency markets
AbstractWe propose a multi-currency quadratic term structure model that allows for several sources of market incompleteness. A new feature of the model is the jump-quadratic dynamics of the exchange rates that simultaneously generate greater flexibility in the time-varying risk premium and excessive currency volatility. Our model empirically outperforms the complete market quadratic and affine multi-currency diffusion models. It accounts for the forward premium anomaly with reasonable market price of risks. The market incompleteness consists of idiosyncratic diffusion-like innovations and jump discontinuities. We find that the jumps dominate the variations in the currency returns and produce most of the excessive currency volatility.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of New Orleans, Department of Economics and Finance in its series Working Papers with number 2004-04.
Length: 53 pages
Date of creation: 29 Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Quadratic term structure; Incomplete markets; Jumps; Excess volatility;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- D52 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Incomplete Markets
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2005-04-03 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2005-04-03 (International Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janet Murphy Crane).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.