Structural Time Series Models and the Kalman Filter: a concise review
AbstractThe continued increase in availability of economic data in recent years and, more impor- tantly, the possibility to construct larger frequency time series, have fostered the use (and development) of statistical and econometric techniques to treat them more accurately. This paper presents an exposition of structural time series models by which a time series can be decomposed as the sum of a trend, seasonal and irregular components. In addition to a detailled analysis of univariate speci?cations we also address the SUTSE multivariate case and the issue of cointegration. Finally, the recursive estimation and smoothing by means of the Kalman ?lter algorithm is described taking into account its di¤erent stages, from initialisation to parameter?s estimation. JEL codes: C10, C22, C32
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia in its series FEUNL Working Paper Series with number wp541.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2009-10-24 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2009-10-24 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierce, David A & Grupe, Michael R & Cleveland, William P, 1984. "Seasonal Adjustment of the Weekly Monetary Aggregates: A Model-based Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(3), pages 260-70, July.
- Harvey, Andrew & Scott, Andrew, 1994.
"Seasonality in Dynamic Regression Models,"
Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society,
Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(427), pages 1324-45, November.
- Andrew C Harvey & Andrew Scott, 1994. "Seasonality in Dynamic Regression Models," CEP Discussion Papers, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE dp0184, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Hannan, E J & Terrell, R D & Tuckwell, N E, 1970. "The Seasonal Adjustment of Economic Time Series," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 11(1), pages 24-52, February.
- Harvey, A C & Jaeger, A, 1993. "Detrending, Stylized Facts and the Business Cycle," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 231-47, July-Sept.
- Harvey, Andrew C & Koopman, Siem Jan, 1992. "Diagnostic Checking of Unobserved-Components Time Series Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(4), pages 377-89, October.
- Harvey, Andrew & Koopman, Siem Jan & Riani, Marco, 1997. "The Modeling and Seasonal Adjustment of Weekly Observations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(3), pages 354-68, July.
- Zafer Dilaver & Lester C Hunt, 2010.
"Modelling and Forecasting Turkish Residential Electricity Demand,"
Surrey Energy Economics Centre (SEEC), School of Economics Discussion Papers (SEEDS), Surrey Energy Economics Centre (SEEC), School of Economics, University of Surrey
131, Surrey Energy Economics Centre (SEEC), School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Dilaver, Zafer & Hunt, Lester C, 2011. "Modelling and forecasting Turkish residential electricity demand," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 3117-3127, June.
- Rude, James & Surry, Yves, 2013. "Canadian Hog Supply Respose: A Provincial Level Analysis," Working Papers, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA) 148590, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
- A. Bers & Fernando Momo & Irene Schloss & Doris Abele, 2013. "Analysis of trends and sudden changes in long-term environmental data from King George Island (Antarctica): relationships between global climatic oscillations and local system response," Climatic Change, Springer, Springer, vol. 116(3), pages 789-803, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sean Story).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.