The Scorecard on Development, 1960-2010: Closing the Gap?
AbstractThis paper examines data on economic growth and various social indicators for 193 countries over the past 50 years, divided into three periods: 1960-1980, 1980-2000, and 2000-2010. The paper finds that after a sharp slowdown in economic growth and in progress on social indicators during the second (1980-2000) period, there has been a recovery on both economic growth and, for many countries, a rebound in progress on social indicators (including life expectancy, adult, infant, and child mortality, and education) during the past decade. The paper discusses some of the economic and policy changes that might explain the slowdown and rebound.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs in its series Working Papers with number 106.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2011
Date of revision:
economic development; growth; social indicators; growth failure; recovery; developing countries; education; health;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-06-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2011-06-11 (Development)
- NEP-FDG-2011-06-11 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-HIS-2011-06-11 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-PKE-2011-06-11 (Post Keynesian Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Predrag Vasic).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.