Credit-Risk Valuation in the Sovereign CDS and Bonds Markets: Evidence from the Euro Area Crisis
AbstractWe analyse the extent to which prices in the sovereign credit default swap (CDS) and bond markets reflect the same information on credit risk in the context of the current crisis of the European Monetary Union (EMU). We first document that deviations between CDS and bond spreads are related to counterparty risk, common volatility in EMU equity markets, market illiquidity, funding costs, flight-to-quality, and the volume of debt purchases by the European Central Bank (ECB) in the secondary market. Based on this we conduct a state-dependent price-discovery analysis that reveals that the levels of the counterparty risk and the common volatility in EMU equity markets, and the banks’ agreements to accept losses on their holdings of Greek bonds impair the ability of the CDS market to lead the price discovery process. On the other hand, the funding costs, the flight-to-quality indicator and the volume of debt purchases by the ECB worsen the efficiency of the bond market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra in its series Faculty Working Papers with number 22/12.
Length: 47 pages
Date of creation: 21 Dec 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.unav.es/facultad/econom
sovereign credit default swaps; sovereign bonds; credit spreads; price discovery;
Other versions of this item:
- Arce, Oscar & Mayordomo, Sergio & Peña, Juan Ignacio, 2013. "Credit-risk valuation in the sovereign CDS and bonds markets: Evidence from the euro area crisis," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 124-145.
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-01-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2013-01-07 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2013-01-07 (European Economics)
- NEP-FMK-2013-01-07 (Financial Markets)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Delis, Manthos D & Mylonidis, Nikolaos, 2010.
"The chicken or the egg? A note on the dynamic interrelation between government bond spreads and credit default swaps,"
25270, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Delis, Manthos D. & Mylonidis, Nikolaos, 2011. "The chicken or the egg? A note on the dynamic interrelation between government bond spreads and credit default swaps," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 163-170, September.
- Carlo Favero & Marco Pagano & Ernst-Ludwig von Thadden, 2007.
"How Does Liquidity Affect Government Bond Yields?,"
323, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Delatte, Anne-Laure & Gex, Mathieu & López-Villavicencio, Antonia, 2012. "Has the CDS market influenced the borrowing cost of European countries during the sovereign crisis?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 481-497.
- Long Chen & David A. Lesmond & Jason Wei, 2007. "Corporate Yield Spreads and Bond Liquidity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(1), pages 119-149, 02.
- Francis A. Longstaff & Sanjay Mithal & Eric Neis, 2004.
"Corporate Yield Spreads: Default Risk or Liquidity? New Evidence from the Credit-Default Swap Market,"
NBER Working Papers
10418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francis A. Longstaff & Sanjay Mithal & Eric Neis, 2005. "Corporate Yield Spreads: Default Risk or Liquidity? New Evidence from the Credit Default Swap Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2213-2253, October.
- Haibin Zhu, 2006. "An Empirical Comparison of Credit Spreads between the Bond Market and the Credit Default Swap Market," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 211-235, June.
- Fontana, Alessandro & Scheicher, Martin, 2010. "An analysis of euro area sovereign CDS and their relation with government bonds," Working Paper Series 1271, European Central Bank.
- Ericsson, Jan & Jacobs, Kris & Oviedo, Rodolfo, 2009.
"The Determinants of Credit Default Swap Premia,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(01), pages 109-132, February.
- Jan Ericsson & Kris Jacobs & Rodolfo A. Oviedo, 2004. "The Determinants of Credit Default Swap Premia," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-55, CIRANO.
- Ericsson, Jan & Jacobs, Kris & Oviedo-Helfenberger, Rodolfo, 2004. "The Determinants of Credit Default Swap Premia," SIFR Research Report Series 32, Institute for Financial Research.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Granger, Clive W J, 1995.
"Estimation of Common Long-Memory Components in Cointegrated Systems,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 27-35, January.
- Gonzalo, J. & Granger, C., 1992. "Estimation of Common Long-Memory Components in Cointegrated Systems," Papers 4, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Gonzalo and Granger JBES 1995 paper," Statistical Software Components RTZ00074, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Acharya, Viral V & Schaefer, Stephen M & Zhang, Yili, 2007. "Liquidity Risk and Correlation Risk: A Clinical Study of the General Motors and Ford Downgrade of May 2005," CEPR Discussion Papers 6619, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alessandro Beber & Michael W. Brandt & Kenneth A. Kavajecz, 2009.
"Flight-to-Quality or Flight-to-Liquidity? Evidence from the Euro-Area Bond Market,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(3), pages 925-957, March.
- Alessandro Beber & Michael W. Brandt & Kenneth A. Kavajecz, 2006. "Flight-to-Quality or Flight-to-Liquidity? Evidence From the Euro-Area Bond Market," NBER Working Papers 12376, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierre Collin-Dufresne, 2001. "The Determinants of Credit Spread Changes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2177-2207, December.
- Sergio Mayordomo & Juan Ignacio Pe�a & Juan Romo, 2011. "The effect of liquidity on the price discovery process in credit derivatives markets in times of financial distress," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(9-10), pages 851-881, November.
- Trapp, Monika, 2009. "Trading the bond-CDS basis: The role of credit risk and liquidity," CFR Working Papers 09-16, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Bingcheng Yan & Eric Zivot, 2007. "The Dynamics of Price Discovery," Working Papers UWEC-2005-01-R, University of Washington, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2007.
- Alois Geyer & Stephan Kossmeier & Stefan Pichler, 2004. "Measuring Systematic Risk in EMU Government Yield Spreads," Review of Finance, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 171-197.
- Politis, D. N. & Romano, Joseph P. & Wolf, Michael, 1997. "Subsampling for heteroskedastic time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 281-317, December.
- Edwin J. Elton, 2001. "Explaining the Rate Spread on Corporate Bonds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 247-277, 02.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1995. " One Security, Many Markets: Determining the Contributions to Price Discovery," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1175-99, September.
- Longstaff, Francis A., 2010. "The subprime credit crisis and contagion in financial markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 436-450, September.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Arora, Navneet & Gandhi, Priyank & Longstaff, Francis A., 2012. "Counterparty credit risk and the credit default swap market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 280-293.
- Bernoth, Kerstin & von Hagen, Jürgen & Schuknecht, Ludger, 2012.
"Sovereign risk premiums in the European government bond market,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 975-995.
- Bernoth, Kerstin & Hagen, Jürgen von & Schuknecht, Ludger, 2006. "Sovereign Risk Premiums in the European Government Bond Market," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 151, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Alexopoulou, Ioana & Andersson, Magnus & Georgescu, Oana Maria, 2009. "An empirical study on the decoupling movements between corporate bond and CDS spreads," Working Paper Series 1085, European Central Bank.
- John Ammer & Fang Cai, 2007. "Sovereign CDS and bond pricing dynamics in emerging markets: does the cheapest-to-deliver option matter?," International Finance Discussion Papers 912, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Fulli-Lemaire, Nicolas, 2013. "A Tale of Two Eurozones: Banks’s Funding, Sovereign Risk & Unconventional Monetary Policies," MPRA Paper 49072, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sergio Mayordomo & Juan Ignacio Peña & María Rodríguez-Moreno, 2012. "Liquidity Commonalities in the Corporate CDS Market around the 2007-2012 Financial Crisis," Faculty Working Papers 23/12, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Jacob Gyntelberg & Peter Hördahl & Kristyna Ters & Jörg Urban, 2013. "Intraday dynamics of euro area sovereign CDS and bonds," BIS Working Papers 423, Bank for International Settlements.
- Tropeano, D., 2013. "Financial Fragility in the Current European crisis," CITYPERC Working Paper Series 2013-09, Department of International Politics, City University London.
- Maria Abascal & Tatiana Alonso & Sergio Mayordomo, 2013. "Fragmentation in European Financial Markets. Measures, Determinants, and Policy Solutions," Working Papers 1322, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.