The accounting dimension in financial integration: International pricing under different accounting standards
AbstractWe suggest that accounting homogeneity is a necessary step in the process of financial market integration. Specifically, we analyze the effect of integration in the “accounting sense” in the correct analysis of international investments and fund allocation by estimating several pricing and valuation models in a cross-country context. We design our analysis in such a way that we can control for differences in accounting standards of the firms contained in the sample. Our results show that the accounting dimension is relevant for cross-country pricing and valuation: the use of homogeneous accounting leads to higher goodness-of-fit of international versions of the models, at levels similar to those of domestic versions and superior to those of non-homogeneous versions. Our results imply that accounting integration is an additional, and important, dimension of financial integration and that progress towards further accounting homogeneity would lead to more accurate pricing of international assets and to an improvement of the efficiency of international fund allocation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra in its series Faculty Working Papers with number 03/08.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.unav.es/facultad/econom
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin, Philippe & Rey, Hélène, 1999.
"Financial Integration and Asset Returns,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2282, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philippe Martin & Helene Rey, 2000. "Financial integration and asset returns," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20201, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- P Martin & H Rey, 2000. "Financial Integration and Asset Returns," CEP Discussion Papers dp0451, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Levine, Ross, 1996.
"Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1678, The World Bank.
- Ross Levine, 1997. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 2003. "Emerging markets finance," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 3-56, February.
- Moerman, G.A., 2005. "How Domestic is the Fama and French Three-Factor Model? An Application to the Euro Area," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2005-035-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Ricardo Hausmann, 1999.
"International Initiatives to Bring Stability to Financial Integration,"
6454, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Ricardo Hausmann, 1999. "International Initiatives to Bring Stability to Financial Integration," Research Department Publications 4174, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Ball, Ray & Kothari, S. P. & Robin, Ashok, 2000. "The effect of international institutional factors on properties of accounting earnings," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-51, February.
- Luzi Hail & Christian Leuz, 2006. "International Differences in the Cost of Equity Capital: Do Legal Institutions and Securities Regulation Matter?," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 485-531, 06.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ricardo Hausmann, 1999.
"Exchange Rates and Financial Fragility,"
NBER Working Papers
7418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ricardo Hausmann, 1999. "Exchange rates and financial fragility," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 329-368.
- Gómez-Biscarri, Javier & López-Espinosa, Germán, 2008. "Accounting measures and international pricing models: Justifying accounting homogeneity," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 339-354.
- Mary E. Barth & Wayne R. Landsman & Mark H. Lang, 2008. "International Accounting Standards and Accounting Quality," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 467-498, 06.
- Ndubizu, Gordian A. & Sanchez, Maria H., 2006. "The valuation properties of earnings and book value prepared under US GAAP in Chile and IAS in Peru," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 140-170.
- Francis, Jennifer & LaFond, Ryan & Olsson, Per & Schipper, Katherine, 2005. "The market pricing of accruals quality," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 295-327, June.
- John M. Griffin, 2002. "Are the Fama and French Factors Global or Country Specific?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 783-803.
- Vassalou, Maria, 2003. "News related to future GDP growth as a risk factor in equity returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 47-73, April.
- Bekaert, Geert, 1995. "Market Integration and Investment Barriers in Emerging Equity Markets," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 9(1), pages 75-107, January.
- Ding, Yuan & Hervé, Stolowy & Hope, Ole-Kristian & Jeanjean, Thomas, 2005.
"Differences between domestic accounting standards and IAS: measurement, determinants and implications,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
826, HEC Paris.
- Ding, Yuan & Hope, Ole-Kristian & Jeanjean, Thomas & Stolowy, Herve, 2007. "Differences between domestic accounting standards and IAS: Measurement, determinants and implications," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-38.
- Kallunki, Juha-Pekka, 1997. "Using accounting variables as instrumental risk measures in event studies: evidence from a thinly traded stock market," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 189-202, October.
- Ralitsa Petkova, 2006. "Do the Fama-French Factors Proxy for Innovations in Predictive Variables?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(2), pages 581-612, 04.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.