El financiamiento de la seguridad social en el Uruguay (1896-2008): una aproximación a su análisis en el largo plazo
AbstractThis paper presents an estimation of the revenues of the Uruguayan pension system, its financial situation and itsimpact on the Central Government finances between 1896 and 2008. The revenues and expenditures of the Social Security Bank (wich covers the retirement funds for workers of the Civil Service and Public Schools, Industry and Commerce, Rural and Domestic)are discussed. The paper also considers the public retirement funds directly paid by the State (for military and policy personnel)and others non public retirement funds (workers of the banking system, Notaries, University Professionals). We study the use of financial instruments, the evolution of the rights garanted to the beneficiaries and the various crises that affected the system that imposed a heavy burden on the finances of the central government. We also present an overview of the institutional process to organize the system and the institutional arrangements arrived at in different moments to salve the problems that emerged in terms of retirement and pension payments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Economia - IECON in its series Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) with number 11-09.
Length: 72 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2011
Date of revision:
Social security; Financial balances; Crisis; Financial assistance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N26 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Latin America; Caribbean
- H55 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Social Security and Public Pensions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2012-03-28 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2012-03-28 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alvaro Forteza, 2004.
"Efectos distributivos de la reforma de la Seguridad Social, el caso Uruguayo,"
Documentos de Trabajo (working papers)
0104, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Álvaro Forteza, 2007. "Efectos Distributivos de la Reforma de la Seguridad Social. El Caso Uruguayo," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 44(129), pages 31-58.
- Marisa Bucheli & Natalia Ferreira-Coimbra & Alvaro Forteza & Ianina Rossi, 2005. "El acceso a la jubilación o pensión en Uruguay: ¿cuántos y quiénes lo lograrían?," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0106, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Alvaro Forteza & Anna Caristo & Natalia Ferreira-Coimbra & Ianina Rossi, 2004. "Pay-Roll Contribution Financed Social Protection Programs in Uruguay," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0305, Department of Economics - dECON.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matias Cadepont).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.