Plural-entrepreneurial activity for a single start-up: a case study
AbstractBased on a longitudinal case study of a high tech start-up, this paper explores how different forms of entrepreneurship coexist and interplay to create a firm’s innovative dynamics. A particular focus is given to knowledge-based entrepreneurship linked to technological innovation and exploitation, service entrepreneurship, and organizational-marketing entrepreneurship. Findings suggest that firms can realize performance benefits when their members divide those entrepreneurial activities between themselves during the launching phase of the firm, and then adapt the configuration of the activities, and their behaviours into a managerial form during the expansion phase of the firm. Our work offers a dynamic view of the conditions a firm has to fulfil to survive in a knowledge-based environment and we analyse the process that produces a good integration of plural-entrepreneurship behaviours.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg in its series Working Papers of BETA with number 2008-01.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PEGE. 61, Aven. de la Forêt-Noire 67000 Strasbourg
Phone: +33 3 68 85 20 69
Fax: +33 3 68 85 20 70
Web page: http://www.beta-umr7522.fr/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2008-02-16 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2008-02-16 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2008-02-16 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2008-02-16 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Slavo Radosevic, 2007. "National Systems of Innovation and Entrepreneurship: In Search of a Missing Link," Working Papers, CENTRE FOR THE STUDY OF ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CHANGE IN EUROPE,School of Slavonic and East European Studies,University College London (SSEES,UCL) 73, CENTRE FOR THE STUDY OF ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CHANGE IN EUROPE,School of Slavonic and East European Studies,University College London (SSEES,UCL).
- Witt, Ulrich, 1998. "Imagination and leadership - The neglected dimension of an evolutionary theory of the firm," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 161-177, April.
- Antoine Bureth & Julien Pénin & Sandrine Wolff, 2006. "Entrepreneurship in biotechnology: The case of four start-ups in the Upper-Rhine Biovalley," Working Papers of BETA, Bureau d'Economie ThÃ©orique et AppliquÃ©e, UDS, Strasbourg 2006-21, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Patryk Koc & Wojciech Pander & Richard Woodward & Deniz Eylem Yoruk, 2010. "Knowledge-based entreprenuership in Poland," CASE Network Studies and Analyses, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research 408, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Ivo Zander, 2007. "Do You See What I Mean? An Entrepreneurship Perspective on the Nature and Boundaries of the Firm," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(7), pages 1141-1164, November.
- Michael G. Jacobides & Sidney G. Winter, 2007. "Entrepreneurship and Firm Boundaries: The Theory of "A "Firm," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(7), pages 1213-1241, November.
- U. Witt, 2005.
"Firms as Realizations of Entrepreneurial Visions,"
Papers on Economics and Evolution
2005-10, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Ulrich Witt & Christian Zellner, 2005.
"Knowledge-based entrepreneurship : The organizational side of technology commercialization,"
CEMI Working Papers, Ecole Polytechnique FÃ©dÃ©rale de Lausanne, CollÃ¨ge du Management de la Technologie, Management of Technology and Entrepreneurship Institute, Chaire en Economie et Management de
cemi-report-2005-002, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Collège du Management de la Technologie, Management of Technology and Entrepreneurship Institute, Chaire en Economie et Management de l'Innovation.
- U. Witt & C. Zellner, 2005. "Knowledge-based Entrepreneurship: The Organizational Side of Technology Commercialization," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2005-04, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Minkes, A. L. & Foxall, Gordon R., 2003. "Herbert Simon and the concept of dispersed entrepreneurship," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 221-228, April.
- Thierry Burger-helmchen & Patrick Llerena, 2008. "A case study of a creative start-up: governance, communities and knowledge management," Journal of Innovation Economics, De Boeck Université, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(2), pages 125-146.
- Thierry BURGER-HELMCHEN & Claude GUITTARD, 2008. "Are Users The Next Entrepreneurs? A Case Study On The Video Game Industry," Working Papers of BETA, Bureau d'Economie ThÃ©orique et AppliquÃ©e, UDS, Strasbourg 2008-14, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.