The vulnerability of patent value determinants
AbstractThis paper presents a critical survey of the literature on the determinants of patent value. The contributions to the literature are essentially two-fold. First, significant inconsistencies across existing studies are underlined. Second, a sensitivity analysis shows strong dependencies of several ‘classical’ results on two main empirical dimensions, namely the choice of the dependent variables (indicator of patent value) and the sampling methodology. The new indicators of filing strategies put forward by van Zeebroeck and van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie (this journal) turn out to be the most robust and stable determinants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series ULB Institutional Repository with number 2013/60730.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in: Economics of innovation and new technology (2011) v.20 nÂ° 3,p.283-308
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-INO-2011-07-13 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2011-07-13 (Intellectual Property Rights)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maurseth, Per Botolf & Svensson, Roger, 2012. "Micro Evidence on International Patenting," Working Paper Series 934, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Nicolas van Zeebroeck, 2011.
"Long Live Patents: the Increasing Life Expectancy of Patent Applications and its Determinants,"
Review of Economics and Institutions,
Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica, vol. 2(3).
- Nicolas van Zeebroeck, 2011. "Long live patents: the increasing life expectancy of patent applications and its determinants," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/96255, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.