Is Debt Replacing Equity in Regulated Privatized Infrastructure in Developing Countries?
AbstractThe main purpose of this paper is to describe the evolution of the financing structure of regulated privatized utilities and transport companies. To do so, the authors rely on a sample of 121 utilities distributed over 16 countries, and 23 transport infrastructure operators and 23 transport services operators distributed over 23 countries. They show that leverage rates vary significantly across sectors, with the highest rates observed in transport and the lowest in water. Moreover, the authors also show that the 1997 Asia crisis led operators to adjust their financial structure differently in different regions. Overall, the evidence they present shows that debt is replacing equity in financing the investment needs of utilities and transport services in developing countries. These results raise some questions as to whether the regulator's mandate should be expanded to monitor the financial structure of companies and as to whether the international community should make a stronger commitment to more transparent regulatory accounting systems.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series ULB Institutional Repository with number 2013/43915.
Date of creation: Jun 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in: Utilities policy (2006) v.14 n° 2,p.90-102
Other versions of this item:
- da Silva, Luis Correia & Estache, Antonio & Jarvela, Sakari, 2004. "Is debt replacing equity in regulated privatized infrastructure in developing countries?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3374, The World Bank.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Estache, 2004. "Argentina Privatization: A Cure or a Disease?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44066, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Patricia Bachiller & María José Arcas, 2006. "Performance and capital structure of privatized firms in the european union," Documentos de Trabajo dt2006-02, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad de Zaragoza.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.