Patent fees for a sustainable EU patent system
AbstractThis paper puts forward a sustainable fee structure for the EU Patent (COMPAT). The proposal includes pre-grant and post-grant fees and illustrates the differences between Euro-direct applications and PCT applications. The break-even analysis shows that the COMPAT would make the European patent system more attractive with significantly lower relative costs. At the same time, the new schedule provides a financially sustainable model for the system by preserving relatively high absolute fees and allowing for a fee reduction for small innovative firms and public research organizations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series ULB Institutional Repository with number 2013/100928.
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in: World patent information (2011) v.33 nÂ° 3,p.240-247
European patent system; Fees; EU patent;
Other versions of this item:
- O34 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Intellectual Property Rights
- P14 - Economic Systems - - Capitalist Systems - - - Property Rights
- K41 - Law and Economics - - Legal Procedure, the Legal System, and Illegal Behavior - - - Litigation Process
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-EUR-2011-11-07 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-INO-2011-11-07 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2011-11-07 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-SBM-2011-11-07 (Small Business Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.