Knowledge base, information search and intention to adopt innovation
AbstractInnovation is a process that involves searching for new information. This paper builds upon theoretical insights on individual and organizational learning and proposes a knowledge based model of how actors search for information when confronted with innovation. The model takes into account different search channels, both local and non local, and relates their use to the knowledge base of actors. The paper also provides an empirical validation of our model based on a study on the search channels used by a sample of Dutch consumers when buying new consumer electronic products.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Utrecht University, Department of Innovation Studies in its series Innovation Studies Utrecht (ISU) working paper series with number 08-02.
Date of creation: Feb 2008
Date of revision: Feb 2008
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uu.nl/faculty/geosciences/EN/research/institutesandgroups/researchinstitutes/copernicusinstitute/research/Innovation/Pages/default.aspx
knowledge base; learning; information search; innovation; consumer behaviour;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-ICT-2008-02-16 (Information & Communication Technologies)
- NEP-INO-2008-02-16 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2008-02-16 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-MKT-2008-02-16 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Devetag, M Giovanna, 1999.
"From Utilities to Mental Models: A Critical Survey on Decision Rules and Cognition in Consumer Choice,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 8(2), pages 289-351, June.
- Maria Giovanna Devetag, 1999. "From utilities to mental models: A critical survey on decision rules and cognition in consumer choice," CEEL Working Papers 9902, Cognitive and Experimental Economics Laboratory, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Maria Giovanna Devetag, 2001. "From utilities to mental models: A critical survey on decision rules and cognition in consumer choice," Experimental 0109001, EconWPA.
- Alba, Joseph W & Hutchinson, J Wesley, 1987. " Dimensions of Consumer Expertise," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(4), pages 411-54, March.
- Bettman, James R & Luce, Mary Frances & Payne, John W, 1998. " Constructive Consumer Choice Processes," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 25(3), pages 187-217, December.
- Ron Boschma, 2005. "Proximity and Innovation: A Critical Assessment," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 61-74.
- Stephen P. Borgatti & Rob Cross, 2003. "A Relational View of Information Seeking and Learning in Social Networks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(4), pages 432-445, April.
- Dellarocas, Chrysanthos, 2003. "The Digitization of Word-of-mouth: Promise and Challenges of Online Feedback Mechanisms," Working papers 4296-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Johnson, Eric J & Russo, J Edward, 1984. " Product Familiarity and Learning New Information," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(1), pages 542-50, June.
- Ulrich Witt, 2006. "Evolutionary Economics," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2006-05, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Gregan-Paxton, Jennifer & John, Deborah Roedder, 1997. " Consumer Learning by Analogy: A Model of Internal Knowledge Transfer," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(3), pages 266-84, December.
- Simon, Herbert A, 1978. "Rationality as Process and as Product of Thought," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 1-16, May.
- Cowan, R. & Cowan, W. & Swann, P., 1996.
"A Model of Demand with Interactions Among Consumers,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
9609, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Cowan, Robin & Cowan, William & Swann, Peter, 1997. "A model of demand with interactions among consumers," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 711-732, October.
- Moorthy, Sridhar & Ratchford, Brian T & Talukdar, Debabrata, 1997. " Consumer Information Search Revisited: Theory and Empirical Analysis," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 23(4), pages 263-77, March.
- Srinivasan, Narasimhan & Ratchford, Brian T, 1991. " An Empirical Test of a Model of External Search for Automobiles," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(2), pages 233-42, September.
- Brian T. Ratchford, 1982. "Cost-Benefit Models for Explaining Consumer Choice and Information Seeking Behavior," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(2), pages 197-212, February.
- Frank J. van Rijnsoever & Carolina Castaldi, 2008. "Perceived technology clusters and ownership of related technologies: the case of consumer electronics," Innovation Studies Utrecht (ISU) working paper series 08-17, Utrecht University, Department of Innovation Studies, revised Jun 2008.
- J. Yannis Bakos, 1997. "Reducing Buyer Search Costs: Implications for Electronic Marketplaces," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(12), pages 1676-1692, December.
- Beatty, Sharon E & Smith, Scott M, 1987. " External Search Effort: An Investigation across Several Product Categories," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(1), pages 83-95, June.
- Markus C. Becker, 2004. "Organizational routines: a review of the literature," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(4), pages 643-678, August.
- Chrysanthos Dellarocas, 2003. "The Digitization of Word of Mouth: Promise and Challenges of Online Feedback Mechanisms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(10), pages 1407-1424, October.
- Lori Rosenkopf & Paul Almeida, 2003. "Overcoming Local Search Through Alliances and Mobility," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(6), pages 751-766, June.
- Frank van Rijnsoever, 2008. "Opinion leaders in the domain of consumer electronics and their use of external search channels," Innovation Studies Utrecht (ISU) working paper series 08-20, Utrecht University, Department of Innovation Studies, revised Oct 2008.
- Frank J. van Rijnsoever & Laurens K. Hessels & Rens L.J. Vandeberg, 2008. "A resource-based view on the interactions of university researchers," Innovation Studies Utrecht (ISU) working paper series 08-14, Utrecht University, Department of Innovation Studies, revised Apr 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Floortje Alkemade).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.