Do Multinational Enterprises Affect Domestic Firms Productivity?
AbstractThis work examines the main theoretical and empirical interpretations of the effects of FDI on the productivity of local firms and, in particular, the way in which productivity spillovers are related to regional differences. In studying the Italian manufacturing sector, using cross-sectional data, we found that the stronger presence of multinational enterprises increased the level of domestic productivity, but productivity spillovers were concentrated only in the north-western area of Italy. This indicates not only the existence of a geographic component in the spillovers from FDI but also the peculiarity of Italian manufacturing structure, where different models of production, such as the network enterprise model in the North-west, the industrial district model in the North-east and the backward model in the South, coexists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia in its series Quaderni DSEMS with number fr_se_2002.
Length: pages 14
Date of creation: Oct 2002
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Studi Economici, nn. 78, 2002.
foreign direct investment; productivity spillovers.;
Other versions of this item:
- Filippo Reganati & Cesare Imbriani, 2002. "Do Multinational Enterprises Affect Domestic Firms' Productivity?," STUDI ECONOMICI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2002(78).
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-03-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2004-03-14 (International Finance)
- NEP-INO-2004-03-14 (Innovation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anna Maria Ferragina & Fernanda Mazzotta & Erol Taymaz & Kamil Yilmaz, 2013.
"The Impact Of Fdi On Firm Survival And Employment: A Comparative Analysis For Turkey And Italy,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa13p1211, European Regional Science Association.
- FERRAGINA, Anna Maria, 2013. "The Impact of FDI on Firm Survival and Employment: A Comparative Analysis for Turkey and Italy," CELPE Discussion Papers 127, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Ferragina, Anna & Pittiglio, Rosanna & Reganati, Filippo, 2012. "Multinational status and firm exit in the Italian manufacturing and service sectors," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 363-372.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Grilli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.