What is the relationship between Unofficial and Official Economy? An analysis in Latin American Countries
AbstractThis paper analyzes the relationship between unofficial economy (UE) and official GDP. Through the study of the UE within an institutional comprehensive empirical framework, a positive correlation is found between unofficial and official GDP. Empirical evidence on the procyclicality of UE supports the conclusion that the two sectors are rather complements than substitutes for Latin American countries. Then UE is considered as beneficial to sustain economic growth. Suggestions for economic policy and hints for further research are also offered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia in its series Quaderni DSEMS with number 23-2008.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Unofficial economy; Economic Development; Latin America; Institutions.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dan Andrews & Aida Caldera Sánchez & Åsa Johansson, 2011. "Towards a Better Understanding of the Informal Economy," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 873, OECD Publishing.
- Roberto Dell'Anno & Ferda Halicioglu, 2010.
"An ARDL model of unrecorded and recorded economies in Turkey,"
Journal of Economic Studies,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(6), pages 627-646, September.
- HALICIOGLU, Ferda & Dell’Anno, Roberto, 2009. "An ARDL model of unrecorded and recorded economies in Turkey," MPRA Paper 24982, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roberto Dell’Anno, 2010. "Institutions and human development in the Latin American informal economy," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 207-230, September.
- Buehn, Andreas & Dell'Anno, Roberto & Schneider, Friedrich, 2012. "Fiscal illusion and the shadow economy: Two sides of the same coin?," MPRA Paper 42531, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Grilli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.