Do domestic firms benefit from the presence of MNEs? The case of the Italian manufacturing sector
AbstractAccording to the main economic literature, foreign direct investment (FDI) from Multinational Enterprises (MNEs) can generate positive externalities to host countries, increasing the domestic firms productivity. Recently, the attention of researchers has moved from the analysis of ''horizontal'' spillovers i.e. those benefits to local enterprises at an intraindustrial level - towards the investigation of ''vertical'' spillovers phenomenon i.e. the diffusion of positive effects on domestic economies at an inter-industry level. In this paper we investigate the presence of both these two kinds of spillovers using a firm-level panel data of domestic and foreign firms in the Italian manufacturing sector. The results show the lack of ''horizontal'' spillovers and, at the same time, the presence of ''vertical'' ones.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia in its series Quaderni DSEMS with number 23-2005.
Date of creation: Nov 2005
Date of revision:
FDI; MNEs; Spillovers; Italian manufacturing sector;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-12-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2005-12-01 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2005-12-01 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-INT-2005-12-01 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E., 1997.
"Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 103-132, August.
- Brian Aitken & Gordon H. Hanson & Ann E. Harrison, 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment, and Export Behavior," NBER Working Papers 4967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aitken, B. & Hanson, G.H. & Harrison, A.E., 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment and Export Behavior," Papers 95-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Gorg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2001. "Multinational Companies and Productivity Spillovers: A Meta-analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(475), pages F723-39, November.
- Blomström, Magnus & Globerman, Steven & Kokko, Ari, 1999.
"The Determinants of Host Country Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment: Review and Synthesis of the Literature,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
339, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Globerman, Steven & Kokko, Ari, 1999. "The determinants of host country spillovers from foreign direct investment: review and synthesis of the literature," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 502, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Girma, Sourafel & Wakelin, Katharine, 2001. "Regional Underdevelopment: Is FDI the Solution? A Semiparametric Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 2995, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ari Kokko, 1996. "Productivity spillovers from competition between local firms and foreign affiliates," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 517-530.
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura & Isabel Proença, 2009.
"FDI spillovers at regional level: Evidence from Portugal,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(3), pages 591-607, 08.
- Nuno Crespo & Isabel Proença & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2007. "FDI Spillovers at Regional Level: Evidence from Portugal," Working Papers Department of Economics 2007/28, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Nuno Crespo & Isabel Proença & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2008. "FDI Spillovers at Regional Level: Evidence from Portugal," Working Papers Series 1 ercwp0508, ISCTE-IUL, Business Research Unit (BRU-IUL).
- Nuno CRESPO & Isabel PROENÇA & Maria Paula FONTOURA, 2012.
"The Spatial Dimension in FDI Spillovers: Evidence at the Regional Level from Portugal,"
Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies,
Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 12(1), pages 115-130.
- Nuno Crespo & Isabel Proença & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2010. "The Spatial Dimension in FDI Spillovers: Evidence at the Regional Level from Portugal," Working Papers Department of Economics 2010/17, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Grilli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.