Valuation of the surrender option in unit-linked life insurance policies in a non-rational behaviour framework
AbstractIn this article we propose a discrete time-based model for the evaluation of the surrender option implicit in a portfolio of single premium unit-linked life policies. We presume that the policyholders do not act rationally. Their behaviour is linked to the credibility of the insurance companies, to the analysis of the economic convenience of a rating agency, as well as to their personal needs for surrenders. In this paper we investigate the effects of a company's advertising campaign on the price of surrender options. The model was numerically implemented using the Cox et al. [Cox, J.C., Ross, S.A., Rubinstein, M., 1979. Option Pricing: A Simplified Approach. Journal of Financial Economics 7, 229-263] binomial model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia in its series Quaderni DSEMS with number 20-2007.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2007
Date of revision:
Surrender option; Unit-linked life insurance; Non-rational behaviour.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- Peter L›chte J›rgensen & Anders Grosen, .
"Fair Valuation of Life Insurance Liabilities: The Impact of Interest Rate Guarantees, Surrender Options, and Bonus Policies,"
Management Working Papers
1999-1, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Grosen, Anders & Lochte Jorgensen, Peter, 2000. "Fair valuation of life insurance liabilities: The impact of interest rate guarantees, surrender options, and bonus policies," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 37-57, February.
- Shen, Weixi & Xu, Huiping, 2005. "The valuation of unit-linked policies with or without surrender options," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 79-92, February.
- Tanskanen, Antti Juho & Lukkarinen, Jani, 2003. "Fair valuation of path-dependent participating life insurance contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 595-609, December.
- Kochanski, Michael, 2010. "Solvency capital requirement for German unit-linked insurance products," German Risk and Insurance Review (GRIR), University of Cologne, Department of Risk Management and Insurance, vol. 6(2), pages 33-70.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Grilli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.