US Rates and Emerging Markets Spreads
AbstractWhile many studies document the influence of global liquidity and risk aversion on emerging markets spreads, less is known about their link with the US yield curve –a point that becomes more relevant at today´s historically low US rates. In this note, we examine the channels through which emerging markets spreads could be affected by changes in the US Treasury curve, and their economic importance in light of realistic scenarios, accounting for the differential response from investment and non investment grade economies, and during periods of financial distress. We find that a UST curve steepening (e.g., due to an oversupply of Treasuries) represents a more important risk factor for emerging market spreads than a monetary policy tightening.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Torcuato Di Tella in its series Business School Working Papers with number 2010-02.
Length: 12 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Miñones 2177 - (1428) Buenos Aires
Web page: http://www.utdt.edu/listado_contenidos.php?id_item_menu=4994
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-02-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-02-13 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2010-02-13 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2010-02-13 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martín González-Rozada & EduardoLevy Yeyati, 2008.
"Global Factors and Emerging Market Spreads,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(533), pages 1917-1936, November.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Martín González Rozada, 2005. "Global Factors and Emerging Market Spreads," Business School Working Papers globalfactorsspreads, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Martín González Rozada & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2006. "Global Factors and Emerging Market Spreads," Research Department Publications 4445, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Martín González Rozada & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2006. "Global Factors and Emerging Market Spreads," IDB Publications 6703, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1994.
"The capital inflows problem: Concepts and issues,"
13902, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Ugo Panizza, 2006.
"The Cost of Reserves,"
Business School Working Papers
2006-11, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Martín Grandes, 2007. "The Determinants of Sovereign Bond Spreads: Theory and Facts From Latin America," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 44(130), pages 151-181.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolás Del Ponte).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.