Inequidades socioeconómicas en el uso de servicios sanitarios del adulto mayor montevideano
AbstractThe aim of this work is to analyse the socio-economic associated inequity in the use of health care services among older adults in Montevideo, capital city of Uruguay, based on data from the SABE survey in the years 1999-2000. We impute the equivalent household income through the use of the ECH (Household Continuous Survey) of the Statistics National Institute (INE). Considering a wide range of access, quality, and use of health care services indicators, we attempt to reduce the probable biases that arise from the fact that morbidity and use of health care services variables are measured contemporaneously. Also, we correct for the potential endogeneity of income and health by the use of Instrumental Variables. After the standardization of the use of services by necessity, we find horizontal inequity favouring the older adults with a higher socio-economic level, in the quality of access to the medical consultation (time to arrival and time to being attended), in the probability of having had a consultation in the last four and twelve months, and in the use of preventive services (mammography, Papanicolau, and prostate examination). The latter, show the higher levels of inequity. Through the Instrumental Variable analysis we deduce that inequity would be underestimated if endogeneity is not corrected for.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics - dECON in its series Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) with number 1307.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://www.fcs.edu.uy/subcategoria.php?SubCatId=48&CatId=53
More information through EDIRC
health inequity; concentration indexes; older adults;
Other versions of this item:
- Ana Balsa & Daniel Ferres & MÃ¡ximo Rossi & Patricia Triunfo, 2009. "Inequidades socioeconÃ³micas en el uso de servicios sanitarios del adulto mayor montevideano," Estudios EconÃ³micos, El Colegio de MÃ©xico, Centro de Estudios EconÃ³micos, El Colegio de MÃ©xico, Centro de Estudios EconÃ³micos, vol. 24(1), pages 35-88.
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- I19 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-10-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAM-2007-10-20 (Central & South America)
- NEP-LTV-2007-10-20 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Irene Musio) or (Héctor Pastori).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.