Integration of the Americas: Welfare Effects and Options for the MERCOSUR
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to assess the costs and benefits of the creation of the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) and other integration options for the MERCOSUR with the other countries in the hemisphere. The GTAP, a multiregional, multisector CGE model is used to simulate the effects of several scenarios that are currently on debate. The existing preferences, granted by previous agreements under the framework of the Latin American Integration Association (LAIA), and the preferential treatment granted by the USA through the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP), the Caribbean Basin Initiative (CBI) and the Andean Trade Preference Act (ATPA) are taken into account. The analysis decomposes the effects of the FTAA in order to assess the importance of market opening and market access and identifies the net effect of trade creation and trade diversion. Additionally, the FTAA initiative is decomposed in possible subregional agreements among the countries involved (MERCOSUR – Andean Community, MERCOSUR – USA, etc.). The assessment includes the estimation of the welfare effects in case the agreement does not include the agricultural sector. All the results are presented for the MERCOSUR as a bloc and for each of its members.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics - dECON in its series Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) with number 0903.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://www.fcs.edu.uy/subcategoria.php?SubCatId=48&CatId=53
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, D.K. & Deardoff, A.V. & Stern, R.M., 1995.
"Expanding NAFTA: Economic Effects of Accession of Chile and Other Major South American Nations,"
376, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Brown, Drusilla K. & Deardorff, Alan V. & Stern, Robert M., 1995. "Expanding NAFTA: Economic effects of accession of Chile and other major South American nations," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 149-170.
- Grossman, Gene M & Helpman, Elhanan, 1995.
"The Politics of Free-Trade Agreements,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(4), pages 667-90, September.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1993. "The Politics of Free Trade Agreements," Papers 166, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1993. "The Politics of Free Trade Agreements," Papers 14-93, Tel Aviv.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1993. "The Politics of Free Trade Agreements," NBER Working Papers 4597, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 1994. "The Politics of Free Trade Agreements," CEPR Discussion Papers 908, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Antoni Estevadeordal & Robert Devlin, 2001. "What's New in the New Regionalism in the Americas?," IDB Publications 9372, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Salazar-Xirinachs, Jose M., 2002. "Proliferation of sub-Regional Trade Agreements in the Americas: an assessment of key analytical and policy issues," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 181-212.
- Marcel, Vaillant & Alvaro, Ons, 2003.
"Winners and Losers in a Free Trade Area between the United States and MERCOSUR,"
47315, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2003.
- Marcel Vaillant & Alvaro Ons, 2003. "Winners and Losers in a Free Trade Area between The United States and MERCOSUR," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1403, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Harrison, Glenn W. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David G., 2001. "Chile's regional arrangements and the Free Trade Agreement of the Americas : the importance of market access," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2634, The World Bank.
- repec:fth:michin:376 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1998. "The New Regionalism," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1149-61, July.
- Harrison, Glenn W. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David G., 1997. "Trade policy options for Chile : a quantitative evaluation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1783, The World Bank.
- Marcel, Vaillant & Fernando, Lorenzo, 2003. "The MERCOSUR and the Creation of the Free Trade Area of the Americas," MPRA Paper 47316, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2003.
- Federico Echenique & Alejandro Manelli, 2003.
"Comparative Statics, English Auctions and the Stolper-Samuelson Theorem,"
Documentos de Trabajo (working papers)
0503, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Echenique, Federico & Manelli, Alejandro M., 2003. "Comparative Statics, English Auctions, and the Stolper-Samuelson Theorem," Working Papers 1178, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Federico Echenique & Alejandro Manelli, 2003. "Comparative Statics, English Auctions, and the Stolper-Samuelson Theorem," GE, Growth, Math methods 0309005, EconWPA.
- Andrés Pereyra, 2003. "Competencia en telefonía móvil en Uruguay: diseño de subastas, contratos y marco institucional," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0103, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Marisa Bucheli & Máximo Rossi, 2003. "El grado de conformidad con la vida: evidencia para las mujeres del Gran Montevideo," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1003, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Cecilia González & Máximo Rossi, 2003.
"Participación femenina en el mercado de trabajo: efectos sobre la distribución del ingreso en el Uruguay,"
Documentos de Trabajo (working papers)
1203, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Maximo Rossi & Cecilia Gonzalez, 2004. "Participación femenina en el mercado de trabajo: efectos sobre la distribución del ingreso en el Uruguay," Labor and Demography 0409008, EconWPA.
- Maximo Rossi & Carlos Casacuberta & Ianina Rossi, 2004.
"El arte y el éxito: un matrimonio incómodo,"
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Irene Musio) or (Héctor Pastori).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.