The Dynamics of Price Discovery
AbstractIn this paper we propose a new approach for the econometric analysis of the dynamics of price discovery using a structural cointegration model for the price changes in arbitrage linked markets. Our methodology characterizes the dynamics of price discovery based on the impulse response functions from an identified structural cointegration model, and we measure the efficiency of a market’s price discovery by the absolute magnitude of cumulative pricing errors in the price discovery process. We apply our methodology to investigate the extent to which the US dollar contributes to the price discovery of the yen/euro exchange rate. Our results show that substantial price discovery of JPY/EUR occurs through the dollar, and that the efficiency of the dollar’s price discovery is positively related to the relative liquidity of the dollar markets versus the cross rate market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Washington, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number UWEC-2005-01-R.
Date of creation: Mar 2007
Date of revision: Mar 2007
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mayordomo, Sergio, . "Four essays on the interaction between credit derivatives and fixed income markets," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/9168, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Isabel Figuerola-Ferretti & Jesus Gonzalo, 2007.
"Modelling and measuring price discovery in commodity markets,"
Business Economics Working Papers
wb074510, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Figuerola-Ferretti, Isabel & Gonzalo, Jesús, 2010. "Modelling and measuring price discovery in commodity markets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 158(1), pages 95-107, September.
- Figuerola-Ferretti, Isabel & Gonzalo, Jesús, 2010. "Modelling and measuring price discovery in commodity markets," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/15910, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Girardi, Alessandro, 2013.
"Price discovery and trade fragmentation in a multi-market environment: Evidence from the MTS system,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 227-240.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alessandro Girardi, 2011. "Price Discovery and Trade Fragmentation in a Multi-Market Environment: Evidence from the MTS System," CESifo Working Paper Series 3525, CESifo Group Munich.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alessandro Girardi, 2011. "Price Discovery and Trade Fragmentation in a Multi-Market Environment: Evidence from the MTS System," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1139, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Wang, Jianxin & Yang, Minxian, 2011. "Housewives of Tokyo versus the gnomes of Zurich: Measuring price discovery in sequential markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 82-108, February.
- Kao, Chung-Wei & Wan, Jer-Yuh, 2012. "Price discount, inventories and the distortion of WTI benchmark," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 117-124.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Goldblatt).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.