Performance Pay and Ethnic Wage Differences in Britain
AbstractIn the first study using British data, we show that the average wage advantage of holding a performance pay job is greater for minorities than that for Whites. This generates a smaller ethnic wage gap among performance pay jobs than among time rate jobs. Yet, this pattern is driven by those receiving bonuses not those receiving performance related pay and it is evident only for Asians and for those in managerial jobs. Moreover, it is partially driven by sorting in which the more able take bonus jobs. Nonetheless, the basic results persist with diminished magnitude in fixed effect estimates. These findings differ dramatically from those for United States in which bonuses appear to increase racial differentials especially at the top of the earnings distribution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Cyprus Department of Economics in its series University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics with number 06-2012.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.ucy.ac.cy
Performance Pay; Ethnic Earnings Differentials;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-HRM-2012-05-22 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-LAB-2012-05-22 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LMA-2012-05-22 (Labor Markets - Supply, Demand, & Wages)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heywood, John S. & Parent, Daniel, 2009.
"Performance Pay and the White-Black Wage Gap,"
CLSSRN working papers
clsrn_admin-2009-42, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 22 Jul 2009.
- Méon, Pierre-Guillaume & Szafarz, Ariane, 2011.
"The modern corporation as a safe haven for taste-based discrimination: An agency model of hiring decisions,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 487-497, August.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Ariane Szafarz, 2011. "The Modern Corporation as a Safe Haven for Taste-Based Discrimination: An Agency Model of Hiring Decisions," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/88635, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Kevin Lang, 2007.
"Introduction to Poverty and Discrimination
[Poverty and Discrimination]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- John S. Heywood & Patrick L. O’Halloran, 2005. "Racial Earnings Differentials and Performance Pay," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 40(2).
- Christian Dustmann & Nikolaos Theodoropoulos, 2008.
"Ethnic minority immigrants and their children in Britain,"
University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics
7-2008, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Christian Dustmann & Nikolaos Theodoropoulos, 2010. "Ethnic minority immigrants and their children in Britain," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(2), pages 209-233, April.
- Christian Dustmann & Nikolaos Theodoropoulos, 2006. "Ethnic Minority Immigrants and their Children in Britain," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0610, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Nicholas Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2010.
"Human Resource Management and Productivity,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0982, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nicholas Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2010. "Human Resource Management and Productivity," NBER Working Papers 16019, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bloom, Nicholas & Van Reenen, John, 2010. "Human Resource Management and Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 7849, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kenneth Clark & Stephen Drinkwater, 2006.
"Dynamics and Diversity: Ethnic Employment Differences in England and Wales, 1991 - 2001,"
School of Economics Discussion Papers
1206, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Clark, Ken & Drinkwater, Stephen, 2005. "Dynamics and Diversity: Ethnic Employment Differences in England and Wales, 1991-2001," IZA Discussion Papers 1698, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tony Fang & John S. Heywood, 2010. "Immigration, Ethnic Wage Differentials and Output Pay in Canada," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 48(1), pages 109-130, 03.
- Colin Green & John Heywood, 2012. "Don't Forget the Gravy! Are Bonuses and Time Rates Complements?," Working Papers 13424023, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Becker, Gary S., 1971. "The Economics of Discrimination," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226041162, July.
- Christian Dustmann & Tommaso Frattini & Nikolaos Theodoropoulos, 2010. "Ethnicity and Second Generation Immigrants in Britain," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 1004, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.