Monetary Policy Under a Currency Board
AbstractThe consensus view is that central banks under currency boards do not have tools for active monetary policy. In this paper, we analyze the foreign exchange fee as a monetary policy instrument that can be used by a central bank under a currency board. We develop a general equilibrium model showing that changes in this fee may have the same effects as a change in the monetary policy stance. Thus central banks under the currency board are shown to have an avenue to implement active monetary policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Connecticut, Department of Economics in its series Working papers with number 2007-34.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Connecticut 341 Mansfield Road, Unit 1063 Storrs, CT 06269-1063
Phone: (860) 486-4889
Fax: (860) 486-4463
Web page: http://www.econ.uconn.edu/
More information through EDIRC
interbank market; monetary policy; currency board;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2007-09-24 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2007-09-24 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2007-09-24 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marius Jurgilas, 2006. "Interbank Markets under Currency Boards," Working papers 2006-19, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Ambler, Steve & Paquet, Alain, 1997. "Recursive methods for computing equilibria of general equilibrium dynamic Stackelberg games," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 155-173, April.
- Nie, Pu-yan & Chen, Li-hua & Fukushima, Masao, 2006. "Dynamic programming approach to discrete time dynamic feedback Stackelberg games with independent and dependent followers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 169(1), pages 310-328, February.
- Marius Jurgilas, 2005. "Interbank market under the currency board: Case of Lithuania," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 448, Society for Computational Economics.
- Steve Ambler & Alain Paquet, 1994. "Recursive Methods for Computing Equilibria of General Equilibrium Dynamic Stackelberg Games," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 25, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kasey Kniffin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.