Testing for Balance Sheet Effects in Emerging Market Countries
AbstractThis paper tests the presence of balance sheets effects and analyzes the implications for exchange rate policies in emerging markets. The results reveal that the emerging market bond index (EMBI) is negatively related to the banks. foreign currency leverage, and that these banks. foreign currency exposures are relatively unhedged. Panel SVAR methods using EMBI instead of advanced country lending rates find, contrary to the literature, that the amplitude of output responses to foreign interest rate shocks are smaller under relatively fixed regimes. The findings are robust to the local projections method of obtaining impulse responses, using country specific and GARCH-SVAR models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Connecticut, Department of Economics in its series Working papers with number 2006-28.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Connecticut 341 Mansfield Road, Unit 1063 Storrs, CT 06269-1063
Phone: (860) 486-4889
Fax: (860) 486-4463
Web page: http://www.econ.uconn.edu/
More information through EDIRC
EMBI; bank balance sheets; leverage; country risk premium; exchange rates.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2007-01-13 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2007-01-13 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2007-01-13 (Central Banking)
- NEP-IFN-2007-01-13 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2007-01-13 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Òscar Jordà, 2005. "Estimation and Inference of Impulse Responses by Local Projections," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 161-182, March.
- Tommaso Monacelli, 1999.
"Into the Mussa Puzzle: Monetary Policy Regimes and the Real Exchange Rate in a Small Open Economy,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
437, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 15 Sep 2000.
- Monacelli, Tommaso, 2004. "Into the Mussa puzzle: monetary policy regimes and the real exchange rate in a small open economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 191-217, January.
- Andrew T. Levin & John C. Williams, 2003.
"Robust monetary policy with competing reference models,"
Working Paper Series
2003-10, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Levin, Andrew T. & Williams, John C., 2003. "Robust monetary policy with competing reference models," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(5), pages 945-975, July.
- John C. Williams & Andrew T. Levin, 2003. "Robust Monetary Policy with Competing Reference Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 291, Society for Computational Economics.
- Kathryn M.E. Dominguez & Linda L. Tesar, 2001.
"Exchange Rate Exposure,"
NBER Working Papers
8453, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan Berganza & Roberto Chang & Alicia Herrero, 2004.
"Balance sheet effects and the country risk premium: An empirical investigation,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 140(4), pages 592-612, December.
- Alicia Garcia Herrero & Juan Carlos Berganza & Roberto Chang, 2004. "Balance Sheet Effects And The Country Risk Premium: An Empirical Investigation," International Finance 0403005, EconWPA.
- Juan Carlos Berganza & Roberto Chang & Alicia García Herrero, 2003. "Balance sheet effects and the country risk premium: an empirical investigation," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0316, Banco de Espa�a.
- Kim, Soyoung & Roubini, Nouriel, 2000. "Exchange rate anomalies in the industrial countries: A solution with a structural VAR approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 561-586, June.
- John M. Griffin & Rene M. Stulz, 1997.
"International Competition and Exchange Rate Shocks: A Cross-Country Industry Analysis of Stock Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
6243, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griffin, John M & Stulz, Rene M, 2001. "International Competition and Exchange Rate Shocks: A Cross-Country Industry Analysis of Stock Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(1), pages 215-41.
- Luis Felipe Céspedes & Roberto Chang & Andrés Velasco, 2004.
"Balance Sheets and Exchange Rate Policy,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(4), pages 1183-1193, September.
- George Allayannis & Jane Ihrig & James P. Weston, 2001. "Exchange-Rate Hedging: Financial versus Operational Strategies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 391-395, May.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2002.
"Fear of floating,"
14000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Oscar Jorda & Kevin Salyer, 2003.
"The Response of Term Rates to Monetary Policy Uncertainty,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(4), pages 941-962, October.
- Oscar Jorda & Kevin Salyer, . "The Response of Term Rates to Monetary Policy Uncertainty," Department of Economics 01-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Kevin Salyer & Oscar Jorda, 2003. "The Response of Term Rates to Monetary Policy Uncertainty," Working Papers 16, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Eduard Hochreiter & Anton Korinek & Pierre L. Siklos, 2003.
"The potential consequences of alternative exchange rate regimes: A study of three candidate regions,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 327-349.
- Eduard Hochreiter & Anton Korinek & Pierre L. Siklos, 2002. "The Potential Consequences of Alternative Exchange Rate Regimes: A Study of Three Candidate Regions," Working Papers 76, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Eduardo Levy-Yeyati & Federico Sturzenegger, 2003. "To Float or to Fix: Evidence on the Impact of Exchange Rate Regimes on Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1173-1193, September.
- Chari, V.V. & Kehoe, Patrick J. & McGrattan, Ellen R., 2008.
"Are structural VARs with long-run restrictions useful in developing business cycle theory?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(8), pages 1337-1352, November.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2007. "Are structural VARs with long-run restrictions useful in developing business cycle theory?," Staff Report 364, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2008. "Are Structural VARs with Long-Run Restrictions Useful in Developing Business Cycle Theory?," NBER Working Papers 14430, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ricardo Hausmann, 1999.
"Exchange rates and financial fragility,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 329-368.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 1997. "The Determinants of Banking Crises," IMF Working Papers 97/106, International Monetary Fund.
- Bong-Chan Kho & Rene M. Stulz, 1999.
"Banks, the IMF, and the Asian Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
7361, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Collard, Fabrice & Dellas, Harris, 2002.
"Exchange rate systems and macroeconomic stability,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 571-599, April.
- Justin M. Dubas & Byung-Joo Lee & Nelson C. Mark, 2005. "Effective Exchange Rate Classifications and Growth," NBER Working Papers 11272, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brad Setser & Nouriel Roubini & Christian Keller & Mark Allen & Christoph B. Rosenberg, 2002. "A Balance Sheet Approach to Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 02/210, International Monetary Fund.
- Bleaney, Michael & Fielding, David, 2002. "Exchange rate regimes, inflation and output volatility in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 233-245, June.
- Anders Bergvall, 2005. "Exchange rate regimes and macroeconomic stability: the case of Sweden," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(3), pages 422-446, July.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "The Exchange-Rate Exposure of U.S. Multinationals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 331-45, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kasey Kniffin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.