Volatility in EMU sovereign bond yields: Permanent and transitory components
AbstractThis paper explores the evolving relationship in the volatility of sovereign yields in the European Economic and Monetary Union (EMU). To that end, we examine the behaviour for daily yields for 11 EMU countries (EMU-11), during the 2001-2010 period. In a first step, we decompose volatility in permanent and transitory components using Engel and Lee (1999)´s component-GARCH model. Results suggest that transitory shifts in debt market sentiment tend to be less important determinants of bond-yield volatility than shocks to the underlying fundamentals. In a second step, we develop a correlation and causality analysis that indicates the existence of two different groups of countries closed linked: core EMU countries and peripheral EMU countries. Finally, in a third step, we make a cluster analysis that further supports our results regarding the existence of two different groups of countries, with different positions regarding the stability of public finance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales in its series Working Papers del Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales with number 06-11.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Postal: Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales. Finca Mas Ferre Campus de Somosaguas 28223 Madrid
Other versions of this item:
- Sim�n Sosvilla-Rivero & Amalia Morales-Zumaquero, 2012. "Volatility in EMU sovereign bond yields: permanent and transitory components," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 22(17), pages 1453-1464, September.
- Simón Sosvilla-Rivero & Amalia Morales-Zumaquero, 2011. "Volatility in EMU sovereign bond yields: Permanent and transitory components," Working Papers 11-03, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Antonakakis, Nikolaos & Vergos, Konstantinos, 2013.
"Sovereign bond yield spillovers in the Euro zone during the financial and debt crisis,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 258-272.
- Antonakakis, Nikolaos & Vergos, Konstantinos, 2012. "Sovereign Bond Yield Spillovers in the Euro Zone During the Financial and Debt Crisis," MPRA Paper 43284, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.