Globalization and Knowledge Spillover: International Direct Investment, Exports and Patents
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of the three main channels of international trade on domestic innovation, namely outward direct investment (ODI), inward direct investment (IDI), and exports. The number of Triadic patents serves as a proxy for innovation. The data set contains 37 countries that are considered to be highly competitive in the world market, covering the period 1994 to 2005. The empirical results show that increased exports and outward direct investment are able to stimulate an increase in patent output. In contrast, IDI exhibits a negative relationship with domestic patents. The paper shows that the impact of IDI on domestic innovation is characterized by two forces, and the positive effects of cross-border mergers and acquisitions by foreigners is less than the negative effect of the remaining IDI.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales in its series Documentos del Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico with number 2012-16.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Note: The authors are most grateful to the Editor and two referees for helpful comments and suggestions. For financial support, the first author acknowledges the National Science Council, Taiwan; and the third author acknowledges the Australian Research Council, National Science Council, Taiwan, and the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://economicasyempresariales.ucm.es/
More information through EDIRC
International direct investment; Exports; Imports; Triadic Patent; Outward direct investment; Inward direct investment; R&D; negative binomial model.;
Other versions of this item:
- Chia-Lin Chang & Sung-Po Chen & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Globalization and Knowledge Spillover: International Direct Investment, Exports and Patents," Working Papers in Economics 10/54, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Sung-Po Chen & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Globalization and Knowledge Spillover: International Direct Investment, Exports and Patents," KIER Working Papers 721, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Chang, C-L. & Chang, S.P. & McAleer, M.J., 2010. "Globalization and Knowledge Spillover: International Direct Investment, Exports and Patents," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2010-55, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-07-01 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-CWA-2012-07-01 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-INO-2012-07-01 (Innovation)
- NEP-INT-2012-07-01 (International Trade)
- NEP-IPR-2012-07-01 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-KNM-2012-07-01 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yoo-Jin Han & Won-Young Lee, 2007. "The Effects Of The Characteristics Of Korean Firms On The Patent Production Function," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 293-301.
- Hui-Lin Lin & Ryh-song Yeh & Ching-Fan Chung, 2009. "The effect of outward investment to China on domestic R&D: a two-hurdle model with endogenous ODI," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(9), pages 1191-1198.
- Hu, Mei-Chih & Mathews, John A., 2005. "National innovative capacity in East Asia," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1322-1349, November.
- Aggarwal, Aradhna, 2004. "Macro Economic Determinants of Antidumping: A Comparative Analysis of Developed and Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1043-1057, June.
- Tomiura, Eiichi, 2007. "Effects of R&D and networking on the export decision of Japanese firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 758-767, June.
- Huilin Lin & Ryh-Song Yeh, 2005. "The interdependence between FDI and R&D: an application of an endogenous switching model to Taiwan's electronics industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(15), pages 1789-1799.
- Chih-Hai Yang & Jong-Rong Chen & Wen-Bin Chuang, 2004. "Technology and Export Decision," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 22(5), pages 349-364, 06.
- Deolalikar, Anil B & Evenson, Robert E, 1989. "Technology Production and Technology Purchase in Indian Industry: An Econometric Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(4), pages 689-92, November.
- Roper, Stephen & Love, James H., 2002. "Innovation and export performance: evidence from the UK and German manufacturing plants," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1087-1102, September.
- Hausman, Jerry & Hall, Bronwyn H & Griliches, Zvi, 1984.
"Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 909-38, July.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Bronwyn H. Hall & Zvi Griliches, 1984. "Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship," NBER Technical Working Papers 0017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Roper & James H. Love & Dolores Añon Hígon, 2006. "The Determinants Of Export Performance: Evidence For Manufacturing Plants In Ireland And Northern Ireland," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 53(5), pages 586-615, November.
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg & Aoife Hanley, 2008.
"R&D and Exporting: A Comparison of British and Irish Firms,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 144(4), pages 750-773, December.
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg & Aoife Hanley, . "R&D and exporting: A comparison of British and Irish firms," Discussion Papers 07/18, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Girma, Sourafel & Gong, Yundan & Görg, Holger, 2009. "What Determines Innovation Activity in Chinese State-owned Enterprises? The Role of Foreign Direct Investment," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 866-873, April.
- Knut Blind & Andre Jungmittag, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment, Imports and Innovations in the Service Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 205-227, 06.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Bassanini, Andrea & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2002. "Does human capital matter for growth in OECD countries? A pooled mean-group approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 399-405, February.
- Branstetter, Lee, 2006. "Is foreign direct investment a channel of knowledge spillovers? Evidence from Japan's FDI in the United States," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 325-344, March.
- Olivier Bertrand & Pluvia Zuniga, 2004.
"R&D and M&A : Are cross-border M&A different ? An investigation on OECD countries,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
bla04072, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Bertrand, Olivier & Zuniga, Pluvia, 2006. "R&D and M&A: Are cross-border M&A different? An investigation on OECD countries," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 401-423, March.
- Madsen, Jakob B., 2007. "Technology spillover through trade and TFP convergence: 135 years of evidence for the OECD countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 464-480, July.
- Mancusi, Maria Luisa, 2008. "International spillovers and absorptive capacity: A cross-country cross-sector analysis based on patents and citations," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 155-165, December.
- A. Gourlay & J. Seaton, 2004. "Explaining the decision to export: evidence from UK firms," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 153-158.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Adrian Gourlay & Jonathan Seaton & Joy Suppakitjarak, 2005. "The determinants of export behaviour in UK service firms," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(7), pages 879-889, October.
- Mueller, Pamela, 2006. "Exploring the knowledge filter: How entrepreneurship and university-industry relationships drive economic growth," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1499-1508, December.
- Chang, C-L. & McAleer, M.J. & Tang, J-T., 2013.
"International Technology Diffusion of Joint and Cross-border Patents,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2013-24, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Michael McAleer & Ju-Ting Tang, 2013. "International Technology Diffusion of Joint and Cross-border Patents," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 2013-27, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Michael McAleer & Ju-Ting Tang, 2013. "International Technology Diffusion of Joint and Cross-border Patents," Working Papers in Economics 13/24, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.