Unit Roots and Cointegrating Matrix Estimation using Subspace Methods
AbstractWe propose a new procedure to detect unit roots based on subspace methods. It has three main original features. First, the same method can be applied to single or multiple time series. Second, it employs a flexible family of information criteria, which loss functions can be adapted to the statistical properties of the data. Last, it does not require the specification of a stochastic process for the series analyzed. Also, we provide a consistent estimator of the cointegrating rank and the cointegrating matrix. Simulation exercises show that the procedure has good finite sample properties. An example illustrates its application to real time series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales in its series Documentos del Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico with number 0512.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
State-space models; subspace methods; unit roots; cointegration.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C87 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Econometric Software
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bauer, Dietmar & Wagner, Martin, 2002.
"Estimating cointegrated systems using subspace algorithms,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 47-84, November.
- Dietmar Bauer & Martin Wagner, 2000. "Estimating Cointegrated Systems Using Subspace Algorithms," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0293, Econometric Society.
- Phillips, P C B & Durlauf, S N, 1986.
"Multiple Time Series Regression with Integrated Processes,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 473-95, August.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Steven N. Durlauf, 1985. "Multiple Time Series Regression with Integrated Processes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 768, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Poskitt, Don S, 2000. "Strongly Consistent Determination of Cointegrating Rank via Canonical Correlations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(1), pages 77-90, January.
- Abuaf, Niso & Jorion, Philippe, 1990. " Purchasing Power Parity in the Long Run," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 157-74, March.
- Carl Eckart & Gale Young, 1936. "The approximation of one matrix by another of lower rank," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 211-218, September.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.