The Art of Counting - Reconstructing numeracy in the middle and upper classes on the basis of portraits in the early modern Low Countries
AbstractIn this paper we contribute to literature on human capital formation by investigating age references on early-modern portraits from the Low Countries. We use the very popular aetatis formulae to estimate to what degree sitters to portraits were able to give their age in an accurate way. This approach allows us to estimate the numeracy of single men and women, as well as couples who commissioned pair portraits to commemorate marriage. The paper suggests a methodology to be used for this type of research and also uses some specific characteristics of portraits to contribute to recent discussions in the field of numeracy studies, particularly with respect to gender differences in numeracy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Utrecht University, Centre for Global Economic History in its series Working Papers with number 0016.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Portraits; human capital; numeracy; Holland; early modern period; gender;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-09-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2011-09-22 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-LAB-2011-09-22 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David de la Croix & Omar Licandro, 2012.
"The Longevity of Famous People from Hammurabi to Einstein,"
666, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- DE LA CROIX, David & LICANDRO, Omar, 2012. "The longevity of famous people from Hammurabi to Einstein," CORE Discussion Papers 2012052, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Omar Licandro & David de la Croix, 2013. "The Longevity of Famous People from Hammurabi to Einstein," 2013 Meeting Papers 46, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Carmichael).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.