The Outcomes of Teenage Motherhood in Europe
AbstractResearch in many countries has confirmed that teenage mothers and their families are often at a disadvantage compared with those whose children are born in their twenties or thirties. But there has never been an opportunity for a systematic comparison between countries, based on a common data source. This paper analyses the current situation of women whose first child was born when they were teenagers, across 13 countries in the European Union, based on the European Community Household Panel survey. Outcomes considered include educational attainment, family structure, family employment and household income. Teenage mothers were disadvantaged in all countries, but the severity of their position varied substantially between countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre in its series Innocenti Working Papers with number inwopa01/16.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D19 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Other
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kathleen Kiernan, 2003. "Cohabitation and divorce across nations and generations," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library 6371, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Kathleen E Kiernan, 2003. "Cohabitation and divorce across nations and generations," CASE Papers, Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, LSE case65, Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, LSE.
- Davies, Rhys & Pierre, Gaelle, 2005. "The family gap in pay in Europe: a cross-country study," Labour Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 469-486, August.
- Rode, Sanjay, 2011. "Adolescent pregnancies and health issues in Uttar Pradesh: Some policy implications," MPRA Paper 32922, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 17 Aug 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patrizia Faustini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.