Global Inequality: Beyond the Bottom Billion – A Rapid Review of Income Distribution in 141 Countries
AbstractThis working paper: (i) provides an overview of global, regional and national income inequalities based on the latest distribution data from the World Bank, UNU-WIDER and Eurostat; (ii) discusses the negative implications of rising income inequality for development; (iii) calls for placing equity at the center of development in the context of the United Nations development agenda; (iv) describes the likelihood of inequalities being exacerbated during the global economic crisis; (v) advocates for urgent policy changes at national and international levels to ensure a “Recovery for All”; and, (vi) to serve as a general reference source, Annex 2 provides a summary of the most up-to-date income distribution and inequality data for 141 countries
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy in its series Working papers with number 1105.
Length: 65 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 3 United Nations Plaza
Phone: +1 212 326 7000
Fax: +1 212 888 7454
Web page: http://www.unicef.org
Other versions of this item:
- Isabel Ortiz & Matthew Cummins, 2011. "Global Inequality: Beyond the Bottom Billion – A Rapid Review of Income Distribution in 141 Countries," Working papers 1102, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- D6 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- D3 - Microeconomics - - Distribution
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- O2 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-01 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sanjay G. Reddy & Camelia Minoiu, 2005.
"Real Income Stagnation of Countries, 1960-2001,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Steve Dowrick & Muhammad Akmal, 2005. "Contradictory Trends In Global Income Inequality: A Tale Of Two Biases ," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(2), pages 201-229, 06.
- Davies, James B. & Sandstrom, Susanna & Shorrocks, Anthony & Wolff, Edward N., 2008.
"The World Distribution of Household Wealth,"
Working Paper Series
DP2008/03, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- DAVIES, JAMES B & Shorrocks, Anthony & Sandstrom, Susanna & WOLFF, EDWARD N, 2007. "The World Distribution of Household Wealth," Center for Global, International and Regional Studies, Working Paper Series qt3jv048hx, Center for Global, International and Regional Studies, UC Santa Cruz.
- James B. Davies & Anthony Shorrocks & Edward N. Wolff, 2010. "The World Distribution of Household Wealth," Working Papers id:3217, eSocialSciences.
- Aditya Bhattacharjea, 2003. "Book Review: Kicking away the Ladder: Development Strategy in Historical Perspective," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 38(1), pages 126-129, January.
- Hulya Dagdeviren & Rolph van der Hoeven & John Weeks, 2000. "Redistribution Matters: Growth for Poverty Reduction," Working Papers 99, Department of Economics, SOAS, University of London, UK.
- Giovanni Andrea Cornia, 2005. "Policy Reform and Income Distribution," Working Papers 3, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Isabel Ortiz, 2007. "Social Policy," Policy Notes 6, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Stephen Machin & John Van Reenen, 2007.
"Changes in wage inequality,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
4667, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Giovanni Andrea Cornia & Bruno Martorano, 2010. "Policies for Reducing Income Inequality: Latin America During the Last Decade," Working papers 1006, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea, 2010. "Transition, Structural Divergence,and Performance: Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union over 2000-2007," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Working Paper W, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Isabel Ortiz & Jingqing Chai & Matthew Cummins, 2011. "Escalating Food Prices: The threat to poor households and policies to safeguard a Recovery for All," Working papers 1101, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Ronald Mendoza, 2009. "Aggregate Shocks, Poor Household and Children: Transmission Channels and Policy Responses," Working papers 0901, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- International Monetary Fund, 2002. "Financial Crises, Poverty, and Income Distribution," IMF Working Papers 02/4, International Monetary Fund.
- Giovanni Andrea Cornia, 2003. "The Impact of Liberalisation and Globalisation on Income Inequality in Developing and Transitional Economies," CESifo Working Paper Series 843, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andrew Mold, 2003. "Kicking away the ladder: development strategy in historical perspective by HA-JOON CHANG. (London: Anthem Press, 2002, pp. 187)," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(5), pages 668-670.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Lustig, Nora, 1999. "Why is Inequality Back on the Agenda?," Working Papers 127690, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Sebastian Jauch & Sebastian Watzka, 2011. "Financial Development and Income Inequality: A Panel Data Approach," CESifo Working Paper Series 3687, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ryan Higgitt, 2013. "South-South Cooperation and Inclusive Growth," One Pager 213, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Nathalie Chusseau & Joël Hellier, 2012.
"Inequality in Emerging Countries,"
- Jan Vandemoortele, 2012. "Equity Begins with Children," Working papers 1201, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Ryan Higgitt, 2013. "Colonialism, Casteism and Development: South-South Cooperation as a ?New? Development Paradigm," Working Papers 112, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Isabel Ortiz & Jingqing Chai & Matthew Cummins, 2011. "Identifying Fiscal Space:Options for Social and Economic Development for Children and Poor Households in 184 Countries," Working papers 1108, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Clara Osorio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.