European integration, labour market dynamics and migration flows
AbstractThis paper has a double goal. On one side we want to evaluate the effect of economic integration on migration flows moving from the enlargement countries towards the EU-15; on the other, we want to analyse whether the migration flows had any impact over employment, real wages and labour force in the receiving countries of the European labour market. Due to the fact that economic integration can be observed in different real, monetary and financial phenomena, we refer to three of these to measure integration: trade openness, trade integration and financial market integration. These indicators have been inserted in a theoretical model that tries to explain labour market dynamics. The theoretical context that seemed the most suitable one to summarise European labour market characteristics is a modified version of the insider/outsider model proposed by Layard, Nickell and Jackman (LNJ, 1991). Another innovative contribution is the introduction of an equation modelling migration flows, whose creation is inspired to the neo-classic approach to the migration theory (Harris-Todaro, 1970). The model based on rational expectations is solved to find the equilibrium solution and the impact multipliers. Subsequently we estimated a structural VAR with the aim of both evaluating the impact that different shocks on integration measures have on migration flows, and measuring the type of effects that an increase in migration flows causes on the labour market. The estimates show that economic integration generate relevant effects on migration flows from the enlargement countries towards the EU-15 countries. Moreover, from the results emerge that migration flows generate an effect on the labour market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS in its series POLIS Working Papers with number 136.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://polis.unipmn.it
European economic integration; labour market effects; migration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F22 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Migration
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2009-10-24 (European Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2009-10-24 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2009-10-24 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MIG-2009-10-24 (Economics of Human Migration)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fertig, Michael, 2003. "The Impact of Economic Integration on Employment – An Assessment in the Context of EU Enlargement," IZA Discussion Papers 919, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dustmann, C. & Frattini, T. & Preston, I., 2007. "A study of migrant workers and the national minimum wage and enforcement issues that arise," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Sjef Ederveen & Richard Nahuis & Ashok Parikh, 2007.
"Labour mobility and regional disparities: the role of female labour participation,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 895-913, October.
- Sjef Ederveen & Richard Nahuis & Ashok Parikh, 2005. "Labour Mobility and Regional Disparities: The role of female labour participation," Working Papers 05-31, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Manacorda, Marco & Manning, Alan & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 2006.
"The Impact of Immigration on the Structure of Male Wages: Theory and Evidence from Britain,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2352, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marco Manacorda & Alan Manning & Jonathan Wadsworth, 2006. "The Impact of Immigration on the Structure of Male Wages: Theory and Evidence from Britain," CEP Discussion Papers dp0754, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Marco Manacorda & Alan Manning & Jonathan Wadsworth, 2006. "The Impact of Immigration on the Structure of Male Wages: Theory and Evidence from Britain," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0608, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Stephen Drinkwater & John Eade & Michal Garapich, 2006.
"Poles Apart? EU Enlargement and the Labour Market Outcomes of immigrants in the UK,"
School of Economics Discussion Papers
1706, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Drinkwater, Stephen & Eade, John & Garapich, Michal, 2006. "Poles Apart? EU Enlargement and the Labour Market Outcomes of Immigrants in the UK," IZA Discussion Papers 2410, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christian Dustmann & Francesca Fabbri & Ian Preston, 2005. "The Impact of Immigration on the British Labour Market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(507), pages F324-F341, November.
- Lemos, Sara & Portes, Jonathan, 2008.
"New Labour? The Impact of Migration from Central and Eastern European Countries on the UK Labour Market,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3756, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sara Lemos & Jonathan Portes, 2008. "New Labour? The Impact of Migration from Central and Eastern European Countries on the UK Labour Market," Discussion Papers in Economics 08/29, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Matthieu Bussière & Jarko Fidrmuc & Bernd Schnatz, 2008. "EU Enlargement and Trade Integration: Lessons from a Gravity Model," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 562-576, 08.
- Puhani, Patrick A., 1999. "Labour Mobility - An Adjustment Mechanism in Euroland?," IZA Discussion Papers 34, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Decressin, Jorg & Fatas, Antonio, 1995.
"Regional labor market dynamics in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1627-1655, December.
- Black,Stanley W., 1997.
"Europe's Economy Looks East,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521572422, October.
- Richard Nahuis & A. Parikh, 2002.
"Factor mobility and regional disparities; east, west, home's best?,"
CPB Discussion Paper
4, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Richard Nahuis & Ashok Parikh, 2004. "Factor Mobility and Regional Disparities: East, West, Home's Best?," Economics Working Papers 026, European Network of Economic Policy Research Institutes.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 1995.
"The Effects of Trade and Foreign Direct Investment on Employment and Relative Wages,"
NBER Working Papers
5037, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 1995. "The Effects of Trade and Foreign Direct Investment on Employment and Relative Wages," OECD Jobs Study Working Papers 4, OECD Publishing.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1995.
"The Wage Curve,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 026202375x, June.
- Michael Fertig, 2001. "The economic impact of EU-enlargement: assessing the migration potential," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 707-720.
- Yanikkaya, Halit, 2003. "Trade openness and economic growth: a cross-country empirical investigation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 57-89, October.
- Harald Badinger, 2005. "Growth Effects of Economic Integration: Evidence from the EU Member States," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 141(1), pages 50-78, April.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Blien, Uwe, 1998. "The German wage curve: evidence from the IAB employment sample," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 135-142, November.
- Gruner, Hans Peter & Hefeker, Carsten, 1999. " How Will EMU Affect Inflation and Unemployment in Europe?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 101(1), pages 33-47, March.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Blien, Uwe & Wolf, Katja, 2007. "Phillips Curve or wage curve? : evidence from West Germany: 1980-2004," IAB Discussion Paper 200714, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Björn Alecke & Timo Mitze & Gerhard Untiedt, 2009. "Internal Migration, Regional Labour Market Dynamics and Implications for German East-West Disparities – Results from a Panel VAR," Ruhr Economic Papers 0096, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Marchese Carla & Ramello Giovanni B., 2011.
"In the Beginning Was the Word. Now is the Copyright,"
Review of Law & Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 271-289, October.
- Marchese, Carla & Ramello, Giovanni B., 2010. "In the beginning was the Word. Now is the Copyright," POLIS Working Papers 140, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucia Padovani).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.