Testing for Changes in the Unconditional Variance of Financial Time Series
AbstractInclan and Tiao (1994) proposed a test for the detection of changes of the unconditional variance which has been used in financial time series analysis. In this article we show some serious drawbacks for using this test with this type of data. Specifically, it su.ers important size distortions for leptokurtic and platykurtic innovations. Moreover, the size distortions are more extreme for heteroskedastic conditional variance processes. These results invalidate in practice the use of the test for financial time series. To overcome these problems we propose new tests that explicitly consider the fourth moment properties of the disturbances and the conditional heteroskedasticity. Monte Carlo experiments show the good performance of these tests. The application of the new tests to the same series in Aggarwal, Inclan and Leal (1999) reveal that the changes in variance they detect are spurious.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitat de les Illes Balears, Departament d'Economía Aplicada in its series DEA Working Papers with number 5.
Date of creation: Nov 2003
Date of revision:
ICSS; Changes in Variance; Kurtosis; ARCH; IGARCH.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- G19 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perron, Pierre, 1990.
"Testing for a Unit Root in a Time Series with a Changing Mean,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 153-62, April.
- Perron, P., 1989. "Testing For A Unit Root In A Time Series With A Changing Mean," Papers 347, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1994.
"Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 631-53, October.
- Kenneth D. West & Whitney K. Newey, 1995. "Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation," NBER Technical Working Papers 0144, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Pierre Perron, 1986.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
795R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 1987.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986. "Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression," Cahiers de recherche 8633, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Elena Andreou & Eric Ghysels, 2001.
"Detecting Multiple Breaks in Financial Market Volatility Dynamics,"
University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics
0202, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Elena Andreou & Eric Ghysels, 2002. "Detecting multiple breaks in financial market volatility dynamics," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 579-600.
- Elena Andreou & Eric Ghysels, 2001. "Detecting Mutiple Breaks in Financial Market Volatility Dynamics," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-65, CIRANO.
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2001.
"Stationarity and the Existence of Moments of a Family of GARCH Processes,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0535, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2002. "Stationarity and the existence of moments of a family of GARCH processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 109-117, January.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F. & Nelson, Daniel B., 1986. "Arch models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2959-3038 Elsevier.
- Aggarwal, Reena & Inclan, Carla & Leal, Ricardo, 1999. "Volatility in Emerging Stock Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(01), pages 33-55, March.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J., 1996. "Modeling volatility persistence of speculative returns: A new approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 185-215, July.
- Bwo-Nung Huang & Chin-Wei Yang, 2001. "The impact of settlement time on the volatility of stock market revisited: an application of the iterated cumulative sums of squares detection method for changes of variance," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(10), pages 665-668.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
- Wouter J. Den Haan & Andrew T. Levin, 1996.
"A Practitioner's Guide to Robust Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0197, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wouter Denhaan & Andrew T. Levin, 1996. "VARHAC Covariance Matrix Estimator (RATS)," QM&RBC Codes 65, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Wouter Denhaan & Andrew T. Levin, 1996. "VARHAC Covariance Matrix Estimator (GAUSS)," QM&RBC Codes 64, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Wouter Denhaan & Andrew T. Levin, 1996. "VARHAC Covariance Matrix Estimator (FORTRAN)," QM&RBC Codes 63, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Bera, Anil K & Higgins, Matthew L, 1993. " ARCH Models: Properties, Estimation and Testing," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 305-66, December.
- Ai Deng & Pierre Perron, 2006.
"The Limit Distribution of the CUSUM of Squares Test Under General Mixing Conditions,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
wp2006-004, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Deng, Ai & Perron, Pierre, 2008. "The Limit Distribution Of The Cusum Of Squares Test Under General Mixing Conditions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 809-822, June.
- Gregory James & Michail Karoglou, 2009.
"Financial Liberalisation and Stock Market Volatility: The Case of Indonesia,"
Discussion Paper Series
2009_11, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Sep 2009.
- Gregory James & Michail Karoglou, 2010. "Financial liberalization and stock market volatility: the case of Indonesia," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(6), pages 477-486.
- Kamel malik Bensafta, 2010. "Non-stationary Variance and Volatility Causality," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(4), pages 2920-2935.
- Morales, Lucía & Gassie, Esmeralda, 2011. "Structural breaks and financial volatility: Lessons from BRIC countries," IAMO Forum 2011: Will the "BRICs Decade" Continue? â Prospects for Trade and Growth 13, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Gordon J. Ross, 2012. "Modeling Financial Volatility in the Presence of Abrupt Changes," Papers 1212.6016, arXiv.org.
- Ai Deng & Pierre Perron, 2005. "The Limit Distribution of the CUSUM of Square Test Under Genreal MIxing Conditions," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2005-046, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Sinem Derindere KOSEOGLU & Emrah Ismail CEVIK, 2013. "Testing for Causality in Mean and Variance between the Stock Market and the Foreign Exchange Market: An Application to the Major Central and Eastern European Countries," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 63(1), pages 65-86, March.
- Gębka, Bartosz & Karoglou, Michail, 2013. "Have the GIPSI settled down? Breaks and multivariate stochastic volatility models for, and not against, the European financial integration," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3639-3653.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Xisco Oliver).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.