Market Power, Uncertainty, and the Level of Trade
AbstractWe consider a set of home firms, each of which has a stochastic requirement for a particular input. High-cost home firms can produce the input themselves. Low-cost foreign firms produce the input to sell it to home firms through an international market. Efficiency requires the input to be produced by foreign firms and traded in the market. Yet, home firms will always engage in inefficient home production. By producing some of its own input needs, a home firm cuts down on aggregate input demand, thus depressing prices in the market. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1994
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft in its series Diskussionsschriften with number dp9309.
Date of creation: Jun 1993
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Schanzeneckstr. 1, PF 8573, CH-3001 Bern
Phone: 0041 31 631 45 06
Fax: 41 31 631 37 83
Web page: http://www.vwi.unibe.ch/content/publikationen/index_eng.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Spencer, Barbara J. & Jones, Ronald W., 1992.
"Trade and protection in vertically related markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1-2), pages 31-55, February.
- Jones, R.W. & Spencer, B.J., 1989. "Trade And Protection In Vertically Related Markets," RCER Working Papers 195, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Barbara J. Spencer & Ronald W. Jones, 1989. "Trade and Protection in Vertically Related Markets," NBER Working Papers 3023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James A. Brander & Barbara J. Spencer, 1984.
"Export Subsidies and International Market Share Rivalry,"
NBER Working Papers
1464, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1985. "Export subsidies and international market share rivalry," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 83-100, February.
- Ordover, Janusz A & Saloner, Garth & Salop, Steven C, 1990. "Equilibrium Vertical Foreclosure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(1), pages 127-42, March.
- Spencer, Barbara J & Jones, Ronald W, 1991.
"Vertical Foreclosure and International Trade Policy,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(1), pages 153-70, January.
- Barbara J. Spencer & Ronald W. Jones, 1989. "Vertical Foreclosure and International Trade Policy," NBER Working Papers 2920, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jones, R.W. & Spencer, B.J., 1989. "Vertical Foreclosure And International Trade Policy," RCER Working Papers 194, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Dixit, Avinash & Norman, Victor, 1986. "Gains from trade without lump-sum compensation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1-2), pages 111-122, August.
- Salinger, Michael A, 1988. "Vertical Mergers and Market Foreclosure," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(2), pages 345-56, May.
- Sanyal, Kalyan K & Jones, Ronald W, 1982. "The Theory of Trade in Middle Products," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 16-31, March.
- Prescott, Edward C, 1975. "Efficiency of the Natural Rate," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(6), pages 1229-36, December.
- Emons, W., 1990.
"Good times, bad times, and vertical upstream integration,"
1990-23, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Emons, Winand, 1996. "Good times, bad times, and vertical upstream integration," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 465-484, June.
- Winand Emons, 1993. "Good Times, Bad Times, and Vertical Upstream Integration," Diskussionsschriften dp9308, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Emons, W., 1990. "Good Times, Bad Times, And Vertical Upstream Integration," Papers 9023, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Glusstein-Gerber).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.