Methods of Aggregation above the Basic Heading Level within Regions
AbstractThe paper explains part of the methodology that was used in the 2005 International Comparison Program (ICP) that compared the relative price levels and GDP levels across 146 countries and 5 regions. This paper looks at the methodology which was used in order to calculate relative volumes and Purchasing Power Parities (PPPs) within each region. In previous rounds of the ICP, only two multilateral methods were used: the Gini EltetÃ¶ KÃ¶ves Szulc (GEKS) method and the Geary Khamis (GK) method, which is an additive method. The axiomatic and economic properties of these methods and a relatively new additive method, the IklÃ© Dikhanov Balk (IDB) method used by the African region, are studied. A fourth method, the Minimum Spanning Tree method, due to Robert Hill is also studied.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Vancouver School of Economics in its series Economics working papers with number erwin_diewert-2011-24.
Length: 50 pages
Date of creation: 23 Sep 2011
Date of revision: 23 Sep 2011
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.economics.ubc.ca/
Index numbers; multilateral comparison methods; GEKS; Geary-Khamis; IklÃ©-Dikhanov-Balk; Purchasing Power Parities (PPPs); spatial chaining; Fisher id;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- C81 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Microeconomic Data; Data Access
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-01 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maureen Chin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.