Exact and Superlative Price and Quantity Indicators
AbstractThe traditional economic approach to index number theory is based on a ratio concept. The KonÃ¼s true cost of living index is a ratio of cost functions evaluated at the same utility level but with the prices of the current period in the cost function that appears in the numerator and the prices of the base period in the denominator cost function. The Allen quantity index is also a ratio of cost functions where the utility levels vary but the price vector is held constant in the numerator and denominator. There is a corresponding theory for differences of cost functions that was initiated by Hicks and the present paper develops this approach. Diewert defined superlative price and quantity indexes as observable indexes which were exact for a ratio of unit cost functions or for a ratio of linearly homogeneous utility functions. The present paper looks for counterparts to his results in the difference context, for both flexible homothetic and flexible nonhomothetic preferences. The Bennet indicators of price and quantity change turn out to be superlative for the nonhomothetic case. The underlying preferences are of the translation homothetic form discussed by Balk, Chambers, Dickenson, FÃ¤re and Grosskopf.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Vancouver School of Economics in its series Economics working papers with number erwin_diewert-2009-1.
Length: 46 pages
Date of creation: 07 Jan 2009
Date of revision: 07 Jan 2009
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.economics.ubc.ca/
Price and quantity aggregates; index number theory; equivalent and compensating variations; exact and superlative indexes; flexible functional forms;
Other versions of this item:
- Diewert, W. Erwin & Mizobuchi, Hideyuki, 2009. "Exact And Superlative Price And Quantity Indicators," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(S2), pages 335-380, September.
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- D60 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-17 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Barnett, William A. & Diewert, W. Erwin & Zellner, Arnold, 2009.
"Introduction To Measurement With Theory,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(S2), pages 151-168, September.
- William Barnett & W. Erwin Diewert & Arnold Zellner, 2009. "Introduction to Measurement with Theory," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200906, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2009.
- Barnett, William A. & Diewert, W. Erwin & Zellner, Arnold, 2009. "Introduction to Measurement with Theory," MPRA Paper 14868, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maureen Chin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.