Efficiency in Public Research Centers: Evaluating the Spanish Food Technology Program
AbstractWe rely on efficiency analysis to evaluate the Spanish R&D public policy based on financial incentives, and investigate to what extent this instrument has been able to promote a multidimensional research output mix, contributing to the articulation of a successful Spanish Food Innovation System. Introducing the use of the generalized distance function within DEA techniques, we assess whether this policy has encouraged the creation, strengthening and promotion of efficient public research units, whose activities present a balanced and comprehensive production of complementary research outputs −personnel training, science and technology results, and socio-economic collaboration with the private sector. Characterizing the alternative ways in which the different research units have been participating in the Spanish Food Technology Program, and hence their role within the innovation system, we conclude that R&D policy efforts have not succeeded in orienting research units toward a balanced output research mix due to wrong incentives and the lack of a sustained budget that would enable the consolidation of emerging research units. Furthermore, we observe that the majority of research units channel their efforts toward achieving science-technology results related to publications and submitted patents, instead of increasing socio-economic results that would strengthen the articulation and efficiency of the innovation system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History) in its series Working Papers in Economic Theory with number 2007/04.
Length: 44 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Francisco Tomás y Valiente, 5, 28049 Madrid
Web page: http://www.uam.es/departamentos/economicas/analecon/default.html
More information through EDIRC
Innovation System Management; Research Efficiency; Data Envelopment Analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D78 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Positive Analysis of Policy Formulation and Implementation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2007-04-21 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2007-04-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2007-04-21 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-INO-2007-04-21 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2007-04-21 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-PPM-2007-04-21 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-SOG-2007-04-21 (Sociology of Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Menrad, K., 2004. "Innovations in the food industry in Germany," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6-7), pages 845-878, September.
- Beise, Marian & Stahl, Harald, 1998.
"Public research and industrial innovations in Germany,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
98-37, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Beise, Marian & Stahl, Harald, 1999. "Public research and industrial innovations in Germany," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 397-422, April.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Thomas L. Cox, 1999.
"A Generalized Distance Function and the Analysis of Production Efficiency,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 294-318, October.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Thomas L. Cox, 1999. "A Generalized Distance Function and the Analysis of Production Efficiency," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 422, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Laurens Cherchye & Piet Vanden Abeele, 2002.
"On Research Efficiency: A Micro-Analysis of Dutch University Research in Economics and Business Management,"
Public Economics Working Paper Series
ces0206, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Cherchye, L. & Abeele, P. Vanden, 2005. "On research efficiency: A micro-analysis of Dutch university research in Economics and Business Management," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 495-516, May.
- Rip, Arie & Nederhof, Anton J., 1986. "Between dirigism and laissez-faire: Effects of implementing the science policy priority for biotechnology in the Netherlands," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 253-268, October.
- P. Korhonen & R. Tainio & J. Wallenius, 1998.
"Value Efficiency Analysis of Academic Research,"
ir98032, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- M. Halme & T. Joro & P. Korhonen & S. Salo & J. Wallenius, 1998. "Value Efficiency Analysis for Incorporating Preference Information in Data Envelopment Analysis," Working Papers ir98054, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Merja Halme & Tarja Joro & Pekka Korhonen & Seppo Salo & Jyrki Wallenius, 1999. "A Value Efficiency Approach to Incorporating Preference Information in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(1), pages 103-115, January.
- Sarah Batterbury, 2006. "Principles and purposes of European Union Cohesion policy evaluation," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 179-188.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Banker, Rajiv D., 1984. "Estimating most productive scale size using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 35-44, July.
- José Zofío & Angel Prieto, 2006.
"Return to Dollar, Generalized Distance Function and the Fisher Productivity Index,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 113-138, June.
- Zofío, José Luis & Prieto, Angel, 2005. "Return to Dollar, Generalized Distance Function and the Fisher Productivity Index," Working Papers in Economic Theory 2005/01, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Beasley, J. E., 1990. "Comparing university departments," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 171-183.
- Kenneth Arrow, 1962. "Economic Welfare and the Allocation of Resources for Invention," NBER Chapters, in: The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity: Economic and Social Factors, pages 609-626 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martínez Cabrera Marcelino, 2003. "La medición de la eficiencia en las instituciones de educación superior," Books, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation, edition 1, number 201131.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Raúl López-Pérez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.