Sustainability of external imbalances in the OECD countries
AbstractIn this paper, we provide a test of the sustainability of external imbalances in the OECD countries over the years 1970-2007, i.e., before the beginning of the international financial crisis. Specifically, we deal with the case of those countries that have experienced current account deficits in more than half of the years throughout the period of analysis, and address the recent critique of Bohn (2007) on unit root and cointegration tests of the intertemporal budget constraint.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto Universitario de Análisis Económico y Social in its series Working Papers with number 10/13.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Plaza de la Victoria, 2 C.P. 28802, Alcalá de Henares
Phone: (00 34) 91 885 52 25
Fax: (00 34) 91 885 52 11
Web page: http://www.iaes.es
More information through EDIRC
External imbalances; Sustainability; Current account.;
Other versions of this item:
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán & Esteve, 2014. "Sustainability of external imbalances in the OECD countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(4), pages 441-449, February.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán & Vicente Esteve, 2012. "Sustainability of external imbalances in the OECD countries," Working Papers 1201, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán & Vicente Esteve, 2011. "Sustainability of external imbalances in the OECD countries," Working Papers 11-07, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicholas Apergis & Konstantinos Katrakilidis & Nicholas Tabakis, 2000. "Current account deficit sustainability: The case of Greece," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(9), pages 599-603.
- Reuven Glick & Mark M. Spiegel, 2010. "Asia and the global financial crisis: conference summary," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue mar15.
- Ceyhun Bora Durdu & Enrique G. Mendoza & Marco E. Terrones, 2009. "On the solvency of nations: are global imbalances consistent with intertemporal budget constraints?," International Finance Discussion Papers 975, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bajo-Rubio, Oscar, 2012.
"The balance-of-payments constraint on economic growth in a long-term perspective: Spain, 1850–2000,"
Explorations in Economic History,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 105-117.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio, 2010. "The balance-of-payments constraint on economic growth in a long-term perspective: Spain, 1850-2000," Working Papers 10-10, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Suarez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.