Entrepreneurship, creative industries and regional dynamics in Spain
AbstractDepending on the country or region, the amount of entrepreneurial activity differs greatly. In order to appreciate these differences, a general supply and demand scheme has been suggested (Verkeul et al. 2001) to measure the rate of entrepreneurship of an economy in the long term. This rate can be seen to depend on the level of development (Belso, 2004), the economic growth (Audretsch et al., 2002) and the unemployment rate (Thurik and Verheul, 2002). However, the degree of competitive creativity linked to the entrepreneurial activity in its early, commencing and establishing stages, particularly from a regional perspective, is not so well known. This is calculated using various indicators based on entrepreneurial decisions derived from the timing, sector and location opportunity when starting a business (GEM, 2006), as well as others that assess the commitment to innovation in dynamic markets generating emerging products. This paper analyses entrepreneurial activity from this completely new perspective, applying this to the Spanish regions (NUTS-3), with the intention of providing some useful results for research in this area.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto Universitario de Análisis Económico y Social in its series Working Papers with number 06/08.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Plaza de la Victoria, 2 C.P. 28802, Alcalá de Henares
Phone: (00 34) 91 885 52 25
Fax: (00 34) 91 885 52 11
Web page: http://www.iaes.es
More information through EDIRC
entrepreneurial activity; creative industry; entrepreneurial clusters; regional differences;
Other versions of this item:
- Antonio García-Tabuenca & José Crespo-Espert & Juan Cuadrado-Roura, 2011. "Entrepreneurship, creative industries and regional dynamics in Spain," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 659-687, December.
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- R30 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wennekers, Sander & Thurik, Roy, 1999. " Linking Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 27-55, August.
- Kanniainen, Vesa & Vesala, Timo, 2005. "Entrepreneurship and labor market institutions," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 828-847, September.
- Nijkamp, Peter, 2000.
"Entrepreneurship in a modern network economy,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0042, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Schmitz, James A, Jr, 1989. "Imitation, Entrepreneurship, and Long-run Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 721-39, June.
- Stuart, Robert W. & Abetti, Pier A., 1990. "Impact of entrepreneurial and management experience on early performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 151-162, May.
- Martin Carree & André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Sander Wennekers, 2000. "Business Ownership and Economic Growth in 23 OECD Countries," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-001/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Federico Pablo MartÌ, 2004. "Promoting the Entry of New Firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 22(3_4), pages 209-221, 04.
- Andr� van Stel & Roy Thurik & Ingrid Verheul & Lendert Baljeu, 2007. "The Relationship between Entrepreneurship and Unemployment in Japan," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-080/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 14 Jul 2008.
- Roxana Gutiérrez-Romero, 2012. "Determinants of Spanish Firms' Life Cycle and Job Creation: A Pseudo-Panel Approach," Working Papers wpdea1209, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Suarez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.