Long Run Exchange Rate Pass-Through: Evidence from New Panel Data Techniques
AbstractThis paper examines the exchange rate pass-through (ERPT) into import prices using recent panel data techniques. For a sample of 27 OECD countries, panel cointegration tests provide an evidence for the existence of long-run equilibrium relationship in pass-through equation. Following Pedroni (2001), we employ both FM-OLS and DOLS estimators and show that long-run ERPT elasticity does not exceed 0.70%. Individual estimates of ERPT are heterogeneous across 27 OECD countries, ranging from 0.23% in France to 0.98% in Poland. When we look for the macroeconomic determinants of this long-run heterogeneity, we implement a panel threshold methodology as introduced by Hansen (2000). Our results indicate a regime-dependence of ERPT, that is, countries with higher inflation regime and more exchange rate volatility would experience a higher degree of pass-through.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS in its series Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) with number 201225.
Date of creation: Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CREM (UMR CNRS 6211) – Faculty of Economics, 7 place Hoche, 35065 RENNES Cedex
Phone: 02 23 23 35 47
Fax: (33) 2 23 23 35 99
Web page: http://crem.univ-rennes1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Postal: CREM (UMR CNRS 6211) - Faculty of Economics, 7 place Hoche, 35065 Rennes Cedex - France
Other versions of this item:
- Nidhaleddine Ben cheikh, 2012. "Long-run exchange rate pass-through: evidence from new panel data techniques," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(3), pages A24.
- Ben Cheikh, Nidhaleddine, 2011. "Long run exchange rate pass-through: Evidence from new panel data techniques," MPRA Paper 39663, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F40 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-MON-2012-07-29 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2012-07-29 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeannine Bailliu & Eiji Fujii, 2004.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through and the Inflation Environment in Industrialized Countries: An Empirical Investigation,"
04-21, Bank of Canada.
- Eiji Fuji & Jeannine Bailliu, 2004. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through and the Inflation Environment in Industrialized Countries: An Empirical Investigation," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 135, Society for Computational Economics.
- J. McCarthy, 1999.
"Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialised economies,"
BIS Working Papers
79, Bank for International Settlements.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2007. "Pass-Through of Exchange Rates and Import Prices to Domestic Inflation in Some Industrialized Economies," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 511-537, Fall.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2000. "Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialized economies," Staff Reports 111, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- de Bandt, Olivier & Banerjee, Anindya & Kozluk, Tomasz, 2007.
"Measuring Long-Run Exchange Rate Pass-Through,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2007-32, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Kozluk, Tomasz & Banerjee, Anindya & de Bandt, Olivier, 2008. "Measuring Long-Run Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 2(6), pages 1-36.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1999.
"Threshold effects in non-dynamic panels: Estimation, testing, and inference,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 345-368, December.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1997. "Threshold effects in non-dynamic panels: Estimation, testing and inference," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 365, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's example of threshold break in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00088, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "PANELTHRESH: RATS procedure to analyze up to two threshold breaks in a fixed effects panel model," Statistical Software Components RTS00152, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2005:i:26:p:1-14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barhoumi, Karim, 2006. "Differences in long run exchange rate pass-through into import prices in developing countries: An empirical investigation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 926-951, December.
- BARHOUMI Karim, 2005.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through Into Import Prices In Developing Countries: An Empirical Investigation,"
AccessEcon, vol. 3(26), pages 1-14.
- barhoumi karim, 2004. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through Into Import Prices In Developing Countries: An Empirical Investigation," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 28(10), pages A0.
- Dalia Hakura & Ehsan U. Choudhri, 2001.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices: Does the Inflationary Environment Matter?,"
IMF Working Papers
01/194, International Monetary Fund.
- Choudhri, Ehsan U. & Hakura, Dalia S., 2006. "Exchange rate pass-through to domestic prices: Does the inflationary environment matter?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 614-639, June.
- Peter Pedroni, 2004.
"Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic and Finite Sample Properties of Pooled Time Series Tests with an Application to the PPP Hypothesis,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2004-15, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Pedroni, Peter, 2004. "Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic And Finite Sample Properties Of Pooled Time Series Tests With An Application To The Ppp Hypothesis," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 597-625, June.
- Menon, Jayant, 1995. " Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 197-231, June.
- Mark J. Holmes, 2008. "Long-Run Pass-Through From The Exchange Rate To Import Prices In African Countries," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 33(1), pages 97-111, June.
- Sven W. Arndt & J. David Richardson, 1988. "Real-Financial Linkages Among Open Economies," NBER Working Papers 2230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark J. Holmes, 2006. "Is a Low-inflation Environment Associated with Reduced Exchange Rate Pass Through?," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 19(2), pages 58-68, Autumn.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CODA-POIREY Hélène).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.