Does the regional dimension matter as regards finance and entrepreneurship?
AbstractThis article investigates the interrelationships between finance and entrepreneurship by exploring regional discrepancies in France. The focus is (1) on regional differences in financial relationships, (2) on the way these relations influence financial constraints on new firms and (3) on the complementary/substitutable effects between funds. No path of exclusion is identified. Rather, firms that are self-constraining or suffer from a weak credit rationing are the ones that later on develop intensive relationships with banks. Substitution exists in almost all the French regions. Results suggest the departure point of an original pecking order theory according to the entrepreneurial intensity of regions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS in its series Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) with number 201127.
Date of creation: Nov 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CREM (UMR CNRS 6211) – Faculty of Economics, 7 place Hoche, 35065 RENNES Cedex
Phone: 02 23 23 35 47
Fax: (33) 2 23 23 35 99
Web page: http://crem.univ-rennes1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Postal: CREM (UMR CNRS 6211) - Faculty of Economics, 7 place Hoche, 35065 Rennes Cedex - France
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- R10 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2011-11-21 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-GEO-2011-11-21 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-SBM-2011-11-21 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-URE-2011-11-21 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & David Joulfaian & Harvey S. Rosen, 1994.
"Entrepreneurial Decisions and Liquidity Constraints,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(2), pages 334-347, Summer.
- Holtz-Eakin, D. & Joulfaian, D. & Rosen, H.S., 1992. "Entrepreneurial Decisions and Liquidity Constraints," Papers 129, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & David Joulfaian & Harvey S. Rosen, 1994. "Entrepreneurial Decisions and Liquidity Constraints," NBER Working Papers 4526, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bhattacharya Sudipto & Chiesa Gabriella, 1995. "Proprietary Information, Financial Intermediation, and Research Incentives," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 328-357, October.
- Jean Bonnet & Sylvie Cieply & Marcus Dejardin, 2006.
"Financial constraints on new firms: looking for regional disparities,"
Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen)
200613, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Jean Bonnet & Sylvie Cieply & Marcus Dejardin, 2005. "Financial constraints on new firms: looking for regional disparities," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 48(3), pages 217-246.
- Jean Bonnet & Marcus Dejardin & Sylvie Cieply, 2005. "Financial Constraints on New Firms: Looking for Regional Disparities," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-37, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Jean Bonnet & Sylvie Cieply & Marcus Dejardin, 2006. "Financial Constraints on New Firms:Looking for Regional Disparities," Working Papers halshs-00010330, HAL.
- Jan Bouckaert & Hans Degryse, 2004.
"Softening Competition by Inducing Switching in Credit Markets,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(1), pages 27-52, 03.
- Bouckaert, B & Degryse, Hans, 2004. "Softening competition by inducing switching in credit markets," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/101272, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Robert E. Carpenter & Steven M. Fazzari & Bruce C. Petersen, 1994. "Inventory Investment, Internal-Finance Fluctuation, and the Business Cycle," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 25(2), pages 75-138.
- Rafik Abdesselam & Jean Bonnet & Nicolas Le Pape, 2004. "Les contraintes de la création et de la reprise d'entreprise : une application aux régions françaises," Post-Print hal-00149382, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CODA-POIREY Hélène).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.